Gateway to Role-Play
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Generation Meta: Superhero RP

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Generation Meta: Superhero RP Empty Generation Meta: Superhero RP

Post by GeotrixOld 12th April 2017, 11:32 pm

20170325   03/25/17   Mar. 25, 2017

(ATTN Victor: Desolation Patrol Barracks: Briefing Room: 9am)

Smackdown had seen his fair share of deployments, but this was by far the worst idea he'd ever been forced to oversee.
  He read the file over, again. It got worse the more he read it. After committing the details to memory, he pulled out his marker and began his task of censoring the folder.
---1 hour later---
  The door opened, and in strode a man in modern combat garb, despite this he was no danger. His hands bound in magnetic cuffs and several stun guns aim at his torso.
  "Hello, Victor, congratulations, today you get to know who death REALLY is."

(ATTN: Metairie: Residence in DC: Living Room: 10am)

The television was alight with headline after headline:
Ragnarok​ ushers Meteor Apocalypse, Five Heroes Dead in Line of Duty, Paladin Slays the Devil, Relief Efforts call for Volunteers, Theft at a Nationwide​ High.
  The cat mewled at the window, watching the resident squirrel skittishly dig up his stockpile.
  Knock, Knock, Knock.

(ATTN: Psion: Las Vegas: ???: 6am)

(ATTN: Chrysthmatnos: Arizona Desert: Crash Site)

Octane pulled the car along side the bank of the crater, as if coming out here wasn't dubious enough, She had no idea as to why she was here,
  I should ask him.
  "Good idea, me"
  "What," inquired the radio.
  "Why are we here? Literally hundreds of these things hit the east coast six days ago."
  An arc of electricity burst out of the hood of the sports car, standing five feet away and standing four feet tall was a being made up of pure light.
  "Exactly," Gremlin answered.
  "Huh?"
  "The meteors all hit east coast populated areas, within a five hour period, and all were conjured at a location approximately 8 miles above sea level. This hit FIVE days ago, struck here nowhere near a residence, and according to my intel, entered the atmosphere from the north"
  Octane suddenly felt nervous, fighting extraterrestrials wasn't her forte.
  "Let's go meet our guest," Gremlin walked over the hill.
GeotrixOld
GeotrixOld

The Earl of Insane Ideas

Back to top Go down

Generation Meta: Superhero RP Empty Re: Generation Meta: Superhero RP

Post by xenolion 13th April 2017, 3:50 pm

{Attn: open}
Xylina was just getting up after a late night.  All the nights have been late recently since the meteor fell.  They practically had to force her to go home.  Which is why she finds herself at home at 10 am instead of her office.  She is still in her pajamas, a comfy pair of fuzzy fleece pants with a T-shirt, as she grabs a cup of coffee and pets her cat.  She flips through the tv. The only thing on is coverage of the meteor strike.  She turns off the TV and sits down.

She hears the knock on her door wondering who it can be.  The hospital has her cell number, and since they practically forced her out she doubts it is them.  “Just a minute.”  She yells.  She downs her coffee and goes to the door.  She looks at her visitors through the screen.  “Good morning, how may I help you?”

Last edited by xenolion on 16th April 2017, 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
xenolion
xenolion

xenopouncer extraordinaire

Back to top Go down

Post by JerriLeah7 14th April 2017, 1:50 pm

Arizona Desert l Crash Site
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Aeirrya exits her pod again, this time following up with a good, long stretch. It's rather cramped in there after such a long rest and she cringes once more at the feeling of the heavy weight of oxygen upon her skin. It's been five days and she's still not used to it. After crashing, she had hidden her pod in a deep crater's lip, away from the sun.

Even in the shade, it's so unbearably hot. And dry. Aeirrya doesn't like it here..but the vids showed much more than this. It showed giant green things that reached towards the sky upon green earth! This earth is...brown. No green to be seen. How strange and distasteful. Of course, Esserians don't know much about this planet. They've avoided it to avoid possibility of war and other contact complications.

Still, they did have pictures and she is sure that those pictures were accurate. Where should I go, now? I can't go too far from the pod...but I must find life, so as to speak with it...I won't be killed. I won't be afraid. I will be peaceful and polite. Her thoughts ramble to comfort herself as she tries to decide where she will wander to.

For her first four days, Aeirrya spent her time getting used to the air, practicing her physical and magical abilities while under this atmosphere, and resting...lots and lots of resting. She needed it. Not to mention the fact that she was avoiding all signs of life, at first--she wanted to be able to defend herself, before first contact.

After her stretches are completed, Aeirrya sits down for her daily, morning mediation, shifting up to levitate above the ground by a couple of feet as she crosses her legs, closes her eyes, and begins to clear her mind, pressing the excitement down into the back of her mind.
JerriLeah7
JerriLeah7
Administrator

Soul Bearer

https://www.gatewaytoroleplay.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Foolery 17th April 2017, 12:26 pm

[REDACTED], Desolation Patrol Barracks, Briefing Room,  1000 hours:
============================================

Victor quickly scanned the small room as he entered--not that he expected to find any threats beyond the obvious (i.e. the possibility of facing Smackdown in handcuffs), but old habits were hard to break.  "It's not paranoia if they really ARE out to get you," as his grandfather used to say.  

Upon hearing his erstwhile jailer/commander's comment, Victor couldn't help but crack a smile.  "I already know exactly who Death is, 'boss'.  If I required any clarification, I'd just go to the other cell block and ask her nicely."  At this, Victor rolled his shoulders back, stood up as straight as he could, and made a point of loudly cracking his neck.  

"Now, what's this REALLY about?"

Last edited by Tom Foolery on 20th April 2017, 2:39 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Corrected time)
Tom Foolery
Tom Foolery

Castellan of the Cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post by GeotrixOld 17th April 2017, 8:51 pm

(ATTN: Metairie)

The two women at the door hardly looked like they belonged there. One was dressed in a beautiful crimson ball gown, her eyes meeting the resident, the other wore a simple NYU T-shirt, she fumbled through a pack strewn with cards, dice, baubles, and odd drawings, murmuring to herself.
  "Hello, my name is Acacia. I'm sorry to intrude Ms. Metairie, but my companion needs a doctor, and I need-"
  "THE STARS! THEY'VE CROSSED THE STARS!" screams the student,"What was given must be taken, and the thief will be given the power to take, all at the cost of the gates bars, the formless child will summon formlessness, the diplomat brings war. The DIPLOMAT BRINGS WAR!"
  The raise in blood pressure alerts Metairie to bleeding on the woman's thigh, without a tourniquet she will black out soon.
  Acacia covers the girls mouth, holding her still, "I need discretion. I wouldn't​ ask if it wasn't necessary. Will you help?"
GeotrixOld
GeotrixOld

The Earl of Insane Ideas

Back to top Go down

Post by GeotrixOld 19th April 2017, 9:19 pm

(ATTN:Aeirrya)

Gremlin strode over the crest of the crater. Behind him he could hear Octane digging in the trunk, for her hoverboard no doubt.
Upon reaching the top he could see a gray humanoid levitating in place behind him/her he saw what he assumed was its mode of transport.
"Fascinating," Gremlin commented hurrying down the side, not disturbing the rubble. "Hello there!" he called halfway down the slope.

(ATTN: Psion: Gaia Laboratory: 4am)

Never sleeping has its benefits, you have a full 8 hours to yourself to do whatever you want and no one is awake to judge you. You can surf the internet all night long for humorous material. Unless of course there was a crisis.
"Much work, very science, wow," mused Wonderdoge sadly.
He had been task with analyzing samples of the comets from earlier in the week, and his results were inconclusive.
"Oh, dear, this report will not please Ms. Acacia." He groaned.
His triangular receptors perked someone was using the keypad. The android craned his head to observe the new arrival.
The decontamination chamber opened to reveal Psion in her hazmat suit.
"Oh, howdeedoodee?"

ATTN: Spry: Los Angeles, CA: 6am

Sven hated recruit detail, he despised the niceties of "who are you?", "how did you find me?", and "what do you want?". Actually, it would be nice if his Superiors would consider that for a change.
He could be hunting, this was a city of sin, a city FULL of monsters, full of heinous acts to punish. The monster stirred within him. It was hungry...Very hungry.
"She better be on time," as he strode into a empty hotel lobby and hanging a left into the event room. He checked his watch. He had a few minutes. He set about, preparing some tea, making sure to steep it in the cups.
Lastly he pulled out two labeled envelopes. Accepts and Denies.
"Ms. Spry, I hope your ready for this."
GeotrixOld
GeotrixOld

The Earl of Insane Ideas

Back to top Go down

Post by xenolion 19th April 2017, 9:34 pm

{Attn: Acacia}

Xylina’s eyes widen when she looks at the people at her door.  Everyone knows Acacia.  The girl who she is holding is not in good shape.  “Bring her in quickly.”  She steps aside to allow them entry.  She quickly glances around outside before closing the door.

She leads Acacia to her room and rips the covers off her bed.  “I know it is not the most sterile, but it will have to do.  Just lie her down and I will get to work.”  It is not the first time she has been interrupted, but it is the first time a patient was brought to her house.   She is surprised that Acacia knows where she lives.  “You are lucky I got some rest, or I would be useless right now."

Xylina waits for Acacia to lie the girl down before sitting next to her.  She places her hands on the injured girl.  She closes her eyes to focus her healing.  Slowly the bleeding stops.  “She will need to take it easy due to the blood loss.  Now to fix the leg.”
xenolion
xenolion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ink 19th April 2017, 10:54 pm

[ATTN: Sven]

At first it appears this 'Sven' character may have lost his mind, entering an empty room, only to talk to... no one. Yet his arrival is met with a gleeful giggle, followed by a thud. Hanging from a ceiling light by her feet is a woman in eccentric garb, swinging about with her blonde hair dangling in the air. She drops down, flipping in the air, and lands upright in her seat. After blowing hair out of her face, her head quizzically tilts to one side and she fixes her childlike curiosity on the man across from her. "Ready for what?" she says with a blink. "Ooh. You look peeved. Wanna talk about it? Long day? Mean boss? Broken coffee machine? Oh, wait! Is it because I let myself in?" This woman? The Sensational Spry.
Ink
Ink

https://galvanicmedia.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by JerriLeah7 20th April 2017, 10:41 pm

Aeirrya is in her inner calm, relaxed when she hears the spoken greeting.  She jumps from surprise, her feet hitting the ground instantly as her eyes widen from shock as a human's would.  She gazes at the thing before her analytically.  Squinting her eyes at it, she's uncertain as her hands move over her heart defensively.  This thing...it has a human shape--she's seen humans in pictures.  However, it looks like a pure force of lightning.  Her head tilts one way and then the other as she formulates her words.  Learning a few of the human languages was difficult enough, but pronouncing them was even more difficult.

Aeirrya says with her thick accent, "Greetin--I mean 'hello.'  Are you--wait.  I am.   Aeirrya."

Gremlin turned his head, staring at the craft. It looked mostly intact.  "You speak english. So I guess the landing wasn't accidental, at least the destination. My name is Gremlin."

A little nervously, Aeirrya's two hands form fists that move before her small frame, the right fist on top of the other.  As she bows her head before him, the lower fist turns so that the palm's side is facing upwards, towards the top fist where the palm still faces her chest.  "It is an honour to meet you, Gremlin of the Lightning.  I have come here with intentions of peace, exploration, and hopes of sharing...knowledge."

"Hehe, you sound like Krup. Well, Miss Aeirrya, welcome to earth. I have a few questions," stated Gremlin.

At that moment, a whirring sound approached. Octane launched over the rim of the crater, zooming down the side. Drifting to a stop Octane leveled a device at the extraterrestrial.

"Put that down," Gremlin chided, "you bring a taser to a conversation while I'm here?"

"Hey last I checked, I can actually die in a gun fight, Sparky!" retorted Octane.

Aeirrya blinks, backing up suddenly as she is startled from the appearance of another individual.  Now, this one looks much like the humans in the pictures.  Obviously female, possibly young?  The aging isn't something she looked into thoroughly...the two spoke to each other, and although she recognizes the English, they speak so fast that she only manages to pick up a few words.  Overwhelmed, she barely pays any attention to the devise in the human's hands.  It doesn't currently seem to pose a real threat.

"I am happy to answer any questions, so long as I may remain in the shade.  The sun, here...it is too hot."  Aeirrya says hesitantly.  Her eyes dart from one creature to the other.  She isn't sure if she should introduce herself to the other creature or if she should wait to be introduced.  Instead, she simply bows in the same fashion again, this time to the new human that actually appears like a human, "Hello.  I am Aeirrya."

"Oh, I'm Octane, I lead the Las Vegas division of New Olympus." Octane crosses a look at Gremlin," N-nooooo! Nuh-uh, you don't get to come in and just-"

"A conversation for later, Octane. Miss Aeirrya, I believe I had questions, yes."

Aeirrya straightens her posture and says with a sincere tone, "A pleasure to greet you, Octae of New Olympress."  

Then, she sits cross legged above the ground into levitation as her arm gestures with welcome, "Come sit with me.  Ask your questions, Gremlin."

Octane slid into the shade before coming to a stop. This was far from over.

"Aeirrya are you aware of the events that took place a day before your arrival?"

Aeirrya looks from Octane to Gremlin, confused, "No.  My cryo pod ensured deep sleep during my travel and landing process.  I am afraid all events between falling asleep on my planet and waking up on yours is unknown to me."

"May I ask why you haven't made your presence known as of yet?"

Aeirrya blinks a few times before responding, "I needed time to adapt to your atmosphere.  Your oxygen is...heavy.  I breathe in carbon dioxide.  Your gravity is...heavy, also.  It has been difficult to adapt to this new effort of movement.  For the first few days, breathing was hard."

".... I know an electron cloud doesn't leave me much room for expression, but I am concerned. Why haven't relocated your ship? Surely the cities produce more CO² for you to breathe."

Aeirrya frowns, "The pod is not built to move with ease.  It is heavy.  It does not fly.  This is where I landed."

"Miss Aeirrya, is the pod capable of terrestrial communication?"

"I have a device that allows me to contact home, so as to be taken when I wish to go home,"  Aeirrya answers honestly,  "It is currently in my pod."

"Does it use electricity?"

"Yes."  Aeirrya replies, "Does this offend your people?  If so, I am very sorry."

"Oh, not at all. Could you fetch it?"

Aeirrya is suspicious, now.  Will they take it from her?  Destroy it so that she may never go home?  Nervously, she levitates over to the pod and pulls out a small, spherical drone with alien glyphs upon it and then levitates back over towards Gremlin with a gaze of defiance as she respectfully holds it out for him to take.

Gremlin disappears in a flash, as an arc of electricity briefly connects him to the device. It begins to broadcast of its own accord.

"He's not going to break it, he's just contacting my HQ," Octane reassures.

Aeirrya smiles shyly, but nod her head with affirmation.  She has no idea if the human speaks the truth or not.  She has no means to determine how humans lie what signs there are of their lying, when they do.  She'll just have to trust this one.  "I understand."

In a flash of light Gremlin reappeared. "Actually, Octane, you will be relieved to know I am not sending Miss Aeirrya with you. However, the condition of your team is non negotiable," Gremlin said firmly, " You may go, I think I can manage."

Octane gave a cutting glare at Gremlin, before turning around on her board and zooming up the crater.

"Miss Aeirrya, I have made arrangements for us to be picked up by the Setinels, they have facilities to help you get aquainted here. Do you have any reason you would rather not go with us?"

Aeirrya eagerly smiles, "I would love to meet humans!  And learn of this world!"

"Well, I'm glad to hear it. You'll find that we humans are a very diverse species. Now close your eyes."

Aeirrya nervously closes her eyes, appearing very afraid.  Her facial expressions are incredibly similar to that of the humans, Aeierrya can already tell.  At least, from the expressions that she has seen so far.  Maybe this won't be so hard.

"Open em up, deary," a strange voice answered.

Aeirrya sees before her a cavern filled with glowing crystals. Humans dressed in different colourful uniforms engaged in holograms, conversations, beyond those she can see a lava pool, to her left a small cafeteria full of them.  A small chitinous alien in a mechanical suit stomps up. "Welkm, Aeirrya, to da Setnels," the alien states in the same gruff voice.

Aeirrya's eyes are wide with wonder and awe as she looks around her.  Her hand moves to her heart, her chest heaving from heavy breaths from her exhilaration as her gaze eats up every new and exciting thing that she can see.  "Hello, creature.  I am Aeirrya, from Esseria."
JerriLeah7
JerriLeah7
Administrator

Soul Bearer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ink 20th April 2017, 11:19 pm

Sven grumbled. "Hello, Spry. Have a seat, I've made some Earl Gray," he said sounding politer.

"But I'm already si- Oooh. Sarcasm," Spry says. She visibly perks up and rocks back and forth in her seat a bit. "I'm good, thanks. Whatcha need? Daughter having a birthday extravaganza? Wife in need of a yoga instructor? If you say you're trying to throw an office party, sorry, but I don't do X-rated gigs." Spry proceeds to bring her legs up, sitting Indian-style in the chair and swaying from side-to-side. "Or do ya need someone roughed up, a bit? I usually do that for free, so you can just tell me who it is, and I'll just get on that. If they deserve it. Otherwise it'd be a crime. Oh, wait, is this a crime thing? I do pranks. Those are fun. Some of those are less legal than others, I think."

Sven held his hand up. "I'm going to make this simple and quick, Ms. Spry do you know who the Shadowman is?"

"Oh, I know this one! The villain in that one Disney movie!" Spry chimes. She sits back in her seat, though still sitting Indian-style. "Nah, you mean someone real, right? Nope. Not a clue. Sounds ominous."

"What about Nightwatch?"

Spry shrugs, her eyes drifting to elsewhere in the empty room. "Heard a rumbling, here and there. Some sort of super secret superhero thing or whatever. From what I gather, they sure know how to make enemies. Never met 'em, though, so no real opinion of 'em. I'm sure they're nice boys and girls. Wonder if they all dress up like night watchmen, with a name like that. Oh! Or bats! Yeah. That'd be super cool."

"... *Sigh* Well, we know you." Sven stood up, but when he stopped standing he didn't stop rising, 7, 8, 10 feet tall he stood. His hide became gnarled and his clothes melded into callous skin. Giant stag-like horns grew from his head.

Spry tilts her head back more and more as Sven continues to rise, eventually stopping when he does. She blinks. "Whoa. Someone's been drinking their milk," she says. "Also, that's... cool. Hey, can I climb you? Looks like fun. Oh. The horn's probably sensitive or something, huh? Phooey. Ah well. Anyway, I sure hope you know about me. I'd need to up my marketing game, otherwise. Is the website just collecting dust? That'd suck. Then again, I haven't had a gig in a few days. Hm. Maybe I should check that. Oh, wait! You said 'we'. So you're one of those Nightwatch guys. Hi."

"YOU'RE PLAYING WITH FIRE, SPRY!" bellowed beast, "I HAVE COME TO DELIVER A MESSAGE, THE SHADOWMAN WANTS YOU TO ALLY YOURSELF WITH AN ORGANIZATION. FOR SOME REASON, HE FEARS FOR YOUR SAFETY. YOU CAN CHOOSE TO ACCEPT HIS OFFER OR NOT. I WILL NOT LET MY HUNGER WAIT ON THE CHOICE OF SOME IMMATURE SPRITELING!"

With spittle coming forth, Sven returns to his natural form. He finishes his tea and levels a glare. "Those envelopes are for you. I refuse to endure this farce." With that, Sven takes his leave.

Spry watches Sven out until door shuts behind him. "M'Kay, bye!" she says with a faux salute before settling her gaze upon the table before her, the envelopes resting upon them. "He seems nice. Sooo, what the hay just happened, exactly?" She picks the envelopes up and stares at them a moment before shrugging and opening one up, sifting through its contents. "Ooh. I bet it's a love letter. That'd be cute. Hm. Fan mail would also be pretty neat. I don't get enough of that. Or..." She skims the contents of the first envelop. "Or... this. It could also be this."

Dear, Miss Spry

I'm sorry for sending Sven to be your​ contact with the Nightwatch. He was the only one available.

I do not desire to induct you into my organization. By no means would you be a good fit, here. So instead, I implore you to join New Olympus. The following envelopes have been marked to inform you on your choices. If you are wondering why New Olympus, suffice it to say, you can help me right several wrongs, and maybe it'll suit you.

Sincerely,
Dead-Eye Dan, The Shadowman

Spry stares at the letter for a moment, before folding it and tucking it back in the envelope. "Righting wrongs, huh? Buddy, you clearly don't know me too well. Eh. His handwriting's nice, at least. Funny name, though. Sounds like an old western outlaw or something." Then she turns to the others, picking them both up and tearing them open across the top at once, before pulling them out and skimming through them.

Enclosed in the letter was a pocket map, money, and a greyhound ticket. The letter read:
I wish you the best, no matter what they say, remember, they need you.  Here's a bus ticket and cab fare to a phone booth in Las Vegas. Don't dial, just ask for Vibe.

Spry stares flatly at the letter and glances over at the other one.

If this doesn't convince you, maybe, you would like to hear what happened to the last hero who tried to go it alone. Within the course of a few months a child of 10 years old was driven mad, captured, and detained by the Desolation Patrol. He is serving his 4th year in what will likely be a lifetime being forced to work for them. Such, is the future of all heroes who work alone. If you think that is wrong, maybe you'd like to help us change that. Please reconsider."

Spry arches an eyebrow at the second letter. "Well, that doesn't sound fun," she mumbles, crunching the paper in her hand and tossing it over her shoulder. She turns back to the accepting letter and its accompanying contents for a moment. "And you just sound like more trouble than you're worth." Giving it a moment, she sighs. "Guess you'll have to do a little detective work, Spry. Starting with this little invitation. Hm. Sounds boring. But I guess meeting some other capes and cowls could be a lark." Finally she shrugs and makes off with the accepting envelope and its contents.
Ink
Ink

https://galvanicmedia.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 22nd April 2017, 5:26 pm

[Attn: Open]

"Genoa City, huh? Every time I look at this place I wonder what the h*ll I'm doing here..."

Tyre stood staring out the window of his lab. He was already finished on the projects they'd assigned him--though he couldn't let them know that.

The tedium was starting to get to him. He had been taken by a race whose technology was so advanced that even the most advanced articles here were mere child's play--except for some of that future tech. Of course, it helped that he had nanites infused in his bloodstream capable of analyzing and assimilating any new technology he came in contact with. I wonder how my boys are...?

He had his own little pet projects that he worked on the side, so he wasn't completely bored, but...he needed more. I wonder what you doing, V? Probably off fighting a nation...
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by JulietHasAGun 23rd April 2017, 11:33 am

(ATTN: Outside Las Vegas City Limits, Nevada Desert)

Under the scorching desert sun, Astrid was starting to regret her whole aesthetic infatuation with the color black. Her black hair meant it felt like someone was cooking her brain in a microwave, waiting to see how many rotations till they got it to explode like overheated jello.

Black hair, black shirt, black bag, black dog...

She looked down at the pooch, its tongue hanging out of its mouth as it plodded along with her. She reached down and stroked its head sympathetically, its fur hot to the touch. She much be boiling....

--

"Only for you, Sparky. Only for you." Astrid muttered, sticking her thumb out on the side of the road, hoping someone would be dumb enough to pick up some scruffy looking teenager who looked like she had just crawled off the set of some 90's B vampire movie and her mound of black toothy fluff.

She reached her free hand in her bag, pulling out a waterbottle she was sure was probably boiling by now. She clamped the cap between her teeth and twisted it off, pulling it from her jaws grasp before taking a swig.

Yep, warm as piss.

She took a hard swallow and glared at the bottle. Looking both ways to make sure the coast was clear before focusing on it intently.

"L l i c h .." The word dripped from her mouth, like a cool breeze. She felt the bottle grow colder in her hand. Colder...colder....then..- stop. Didn't want to freeze it. The bottle was now misting in the heat, precipitating as its small volume tried to cool the air.

She took a swig, the ice cold water trying to cool her down. Astrid looked down at Sparky, her beady black eyes looking up at her curiously.

"Don't look at me like that, you know I wouldn't forget you." She raised the bottle and upturned the rest of its contents into Sparky's mouth, the dog excitedly lapping up the water from the air; with what little it couldn't catch spilling onto its heated black head.

Astrid shook the last few droplets from the bottle before tucking it back into her bag.

'Well, that was the last of the water...' Astrid sighed to herself, keeping her pale thumb up under the scorching Nevada sun. 'Now I really better hope someone picks us up.'

--

Astrid stood, resolute as a statue, with her dog curled up at her feet, lapping in the shade cast by her lanky frame. How long had they been standing like this? Hours? A single hour? She didn't know. Homeless kids usually couldn't keep hold of watches. She think she pawned hers for a sandwich a few days ago. Didn't need it, didn't have many appointments to keep these days.

She saw a car ramble into view, a freighter truck, chrome blue head. Tail end didn't have any logo on it, looked like it used to, red lettering faded to nothing by sun and sand.

She saw it slow, shifting down gears until it stopped right in front of her.

A man stuck his head out. Scruffy blonde beard, and a hat with the logo of the Florida Gators.

"You need a ride, miss?"

Astrid had a bad feeling about this guy.

"Why yes I do, actually." She smiled at him from behind her sunglasses.

"Well then hop on in, your pooch too!"

And like many bad feelings Astrid had, she chose to willfully ignore it.

--

"So what's a young lady like you doing out in the middle of the Nevada desert?" The man had a distinctly southern accent. Most people she met out here did. She was surprised her Chicago accent had even lasted this long; she'd been expecting to sound like a Reno 911 extra by now.

She shrugged. "Coasting? Riding the waves from one city to the next." She looked in the rearview mirror to see Sparky, basking in the cool breeze from the window.

"Well, what city you coasting to now?"

"Las Vegas, I'm thinking. Always wanted to see the bright lights, the casinos," The hot chicks in beaded bikinis. She didn't add that last part.

"Seem to be a little young to be drinkin or gamblin', you got any family that know you're out here?"

Oh, here we go. Bad feeling coming back to bite her in the ass.

"Maybe, maybe not. Who knows?" She smirked, knowing exactly where this conversation was leading.

"That little cute act will land you in some hot water one day, little lady." She could hear the threat in his voice.

"I think it already has."

He reached out, snatching her by the collar of her tank top. 'Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey'; she'd seen a few bottles in his backseat.

There weren't any cars for miles around, which was unfortunate for her; but there also weren't any witnesses for miles around, which was unfortunate for him. And his kind of unfortunate was much worse than her kind of unfortunate.

"Oh, you're gonna really wish you didn't do that." Astrid glared at him, a smirk tracing a thin line along her lips.

Before the trucker could get a work out his car was spiraling through the air and off the road. He was screaming, being flung around the drivers seat like a ragdoll. Astrid and Sparky, on the other hand, barely budged.

The car landed in a twisted coil with a large, awful, clang. The moment car was upright- well, semi- upright- the trucker scrambled out of the drivers side door on all fours, onto the hot desert sand. Astrid followed, swinging with catlike swagger out of the passenger door, not even bothering to close the door behind her. This truck was not going anywhere soon. She sauntered after him as he scrambled away.

"Shouldn'ta done that Rick," She said, causing him to freeze. He probably thought she was a mind reader too, she had just seen his badge beneath her feet and seven different bags of Cheetohs. "Cuz, while you did do that to the wrong girl- which is why you're meeting this admittedly karmic fate- what if you had done it to the right one?" He looked back at her, a grown man looking at a teenage girl with tears stinging his eyes. "You know, the doe eyed runaway, wouldn't fight back, couldn't fight back? What if you had picked her up, and not me? What if you had picked up the perfect victim, rather than karma come to bite you in the ass?"

"I-"

"H u s h." She said, putting a finger to her lips. He spoke no more, for now he couldn't.

Astrid plucked her sunglasses off her face, staring down at him with her big, blue eyes, full of jovial loathing.

"What would you have done to her? Think about that, Rick. Think about that long and hard." He was trembling now, looking at her like she was some ghost come to haunt him- which she kinda was, at this point. "Think. Because that is exactly what I'm gonna do to you."

And the terror in his eyes did all the talking.

--

"Don't look at me like that." Astrid said, not even looking down at the black eyes boring a hole in her head. "By all rights I was a lot nicer to him than he deserved. And at least he's alive, albeit with a couple more stains on his skin...but for most girls he's gonna come across, they'll be fantastic warning signs. At least I didn't choose 'run away' to carve into his forehead."

The dog was still staring at her.

"You're impossible to please, you know that? He's alive, lying in a ditch. Someone'll find him eventually. Better fate than what awaits us, and we didn't even do anything!"

Still staring.

"Well, we didn't do anything unwarranted."

Still staring.

"Okay, I didn't do anything unwarranted."

Unfortunately, still staring.

"You- Fine. Judge me all you want. We got a lotta miles left till we get to Vegas so I'm gonna make the most of it."

She cleared her throat, slipping her sunglasses on.

"I got a beat up hat, I gotta ticket for the train- Mexico to New Orleans and back again," Astrid sang, not even bothering to look down at her incredibly judgmental pooch. " Got a hundred miles of desert got a hell of a chair, and I know a hundred games of solitaire."
JulietHasAGun
JulietHasAGun

Lion Cub Of Cintra

Back to top Go down

Post by xenolion 23rd April 2017, 2:55 pm

Acacia stared blankly at Metairie. She had no idea the doctor could do such a thing."Dr. Metairie, I came to under the assumption you could take a private emergency call, I had no idea... that is to say, you didn't have to..."

Silence permeated the room.

“Don’t worry, I am used to emergencies, usually they come to my office.  I was unaware that people knew where my home was.  Don’t worry about the bed it is protected.”  She steps away to her bathroom and comes out with a small bag.  “I have to remove the foreign object before I can close the wound.  Please bring me a bowl from the counter in the kitchen, it is right around the corner.”  Xylina requests.  She is in her doctor mode.  These injuries take her back to when she was in the military.

Acacia hurries of to the kitchen. She cannot miss a beat, not with Omen in such critical condition.

The student began rummaging in her bag again unaware of her pain. She pulled out paper and charcoal, and began hurriedly sketching.

Xylina takes the bowl from Acacia and begins to remove pieces from the patient’s leg.  There is some jostling which makes her look up.  “Miss you need to stay still, I am working on your leg.”  She works quickly and efficiently to remove the items.  “Damn I haven’t seen stuff like this in years.” She mumbles.  The poor leg is shattered.  Xylina takes deep breaths as she works on knitting the bone back together.

"We need to keep her lucid, if she blacks out she'll lose her vision," informed Acacia, "Do you need herbs?"

“No I am fine.  Lose her vision?  Well it is a good thing I reduced the pain then.”  She looks up at Acacia.  “I…if you can just keep her steady.”  Xylina gets back to work.  She can feel the sweat beading on her forehead.  The past couple of days have been hard on her.  She finally gets the bone back.  Now to work on closing the wound.  “This won’t be perfect, and she will need to take it easy.  I recommend her staying off the leg for at least a day or two.  It will take longer for her blood supply to replenish.”

Acacia marvels at Metairie's work. As she finishes up, her attention finally comes on Omen. She cranes her head over the drawing. Moments later, she makes a face of disgust as she hustles to the restroom heaving.

Finally the wound closes.  It is still pink and will leave a scar, but Xylina is worn out from working on her.  She sees Acacia fleeing to her bathroom.  “Are you alright?  I do have some ginger if you need to calm your stomach down.”  She stands up feeling a bit dizzy.  “She can rest here if she wants, I have a bed in the second bedroom.  I need some coffee.”

"That would be blessing, thank you. Her name's Omen. If she says or does anything. More I need you to take notes. It's best I leave her here, she'll send the HQ into a frenzy."
  Acacia closes her eyes. Her Olive skin turns cocoa and small sprigs grow from her body. Opening her eyes, she walks into the kitchen where a rapid tapping sound ensues.

“I didn’t have any plans per se.  My office is closed due to the emergency, and they forced me out of the hospital.” Xylina pours her coffee.  She looks up at Acacia when she enters in the room.  “Are you alright?  What are you doing?”

"Paying you," remarks Acacia as she sets a bowl of coffee beans on the counter. "When she starts talking normally ask her what she touched. Whatever it is I need to find it." With that Acacia takes her leave.

Xylina looks at the bowl of coffee beans on her counter.  Well that is an interesting method of payment, better than nothing.  She takes her coffee cup into the living room and collapses onto her couch.  She makes sure the door is open just in case the patient wakes up again.
xenolion
xenolion

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Foolery 24th April 2017, 6:39 pm

Victor read the file over, then twice more to be certain.  It wasn't that he had trouble believing that they'd send him out with so few resources on such a monumental task--they WERE the goverment, after all--but with a *child* in tow?  Surely they couldn't be serious.

"I'm completely serious," said Smackdown, seemingly reading the soldier's thoughts.  "And don't call me Shirley."

"Don't you reference Airplane at me, 'boss.'  You're sending me into what amounts to an active warzone with a tweenager and a bunch of nerds.  I am literally their only combat support, if I'm reading this correctly."

Smackdown smirked at this.  "I mean, you technically aren't, but I'm sure you'll figure that out in due time."

"Oh, is that supposed to comfort me?"  Victor leveled a look at his captor that would have been threatening to literally anyone but his target.  "It's almost as if you WANT to get rid of me."

"No, no... quite the opposite, really."  This was met with a quirked eyebrow and a silent request to elaborate, but Smackdown remained smugly tight-lipped.

"Alright, alright," the vigilante sighed.  "Where do I meet this 'Shroedinger?'"

Almost as if on cue, the briefing room's vault door hissed open to reveal what looked to be a 12 year old boy in a straight jacket, plague doctor's mask, and metal containment collar chained to four heavily armed guards.  Even with all of this, nearly every government employee in the room visibly tensed at his entrance.  Smackdown, for his part, put on his best Bane impression and intoned "speak of the devil, and he shall appear."  His face wasn't visible behind that neoprene mask of his, but Victor could swear that the bastard was grinning ear to ear.  "Victor, meet Shroedinger.  Your transport leaves in an hour."

================================================================================

Victor cast his gaze about the jumpship with a distinct air of disappointment.  Still, he mused, I've definitely seen worse.  He shrugged to nobody in particular, figuring that he might as well have some fun while he had the chance.

"Alright, children, listen here and listen good.  Some of you may already know me, but my name is Victor, and I have been appointed by the US of A to lead you on this here suicide mission.  Our job is simple--we are to dive into the middle of our nation's capital, acquire the lifeless corpse of one (or preferably more) of the fallen metahumans from Ragnarok's attack last week, and bring them back to base.  I am told we are to perform this task in broad daylight, in the middle of what may as well be a parking lot for all the cover it provides, without being detected.  From this file, I have also been made aware that every damn one of you is an engineer of some sort with exactly zero stealth training."  This last comment was followed with an almost audible eye-roll.

"To achieve this, we will be making a break for the D.C. Underground Metro system the moment we hit our drop point.  Using this and triangulated surveilance data of the corpses' last known locations, we will travel directly to them and hope for the best from there.  The individuals I speak of are, in order: Jester--wanted for assassination, treason, grand larceny, terrorism, and creating a public nuisance; Changeling--good luck finding this one, because it's made of magic and we're employed by the government, meaning we have no relevant equipment; Butch--the reason we brought along all these extra restraints (barring the afterparty); Piper--trigger warning for you sensitive types, I hope you like rats; and Liason--a shapeshifting space alien that will probably look like just another random shmuck if we're unlucky and the 5-0 already has him."

One of the nerds raises a trembling hand.  "Sir, do I want to know why there is a 12 year old boy in restraints?"

Victor grinned like the cat that got the canary, but Shroedinger was faster on the metaphorical draw.  "Because if they're wrong about me, the actual factual devil is on board."
==================================================================================
Tom Foolery
Tom Foolery

Castellan of the Cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 10th May 2017, 10:58 pm

[Attn: Astrid, Open]

"Well. Damn. That's something you don't see every day..."

He had been too late to the alert he'd gotten about the alien crash landing -- which had disappointed him -- but on the way back, he'd spotted a diesel. The man inside...

Twista whistled behind his space suit. "I didn't see a thing," he said in a sing-song voice. "I didn't see a thing." Child molesters and rapists could rot. Unfortunately, the person responsible had picked on the wrong person. "I didn't see a thing..." His voice strained. Dammit. He was gonna have to get involved.

Luckily, the magic user's energy signature wasn't difficult to find considering the amount they used. Or she. Hello, legs!

"Damn, Kiki," he said landing in front of her. "I can at least see why you got 99 problems with dudes." He thumbed back in the direction where far away the diesel lay. "Thought I'd give you a heads up. Dude you f*cked with? He got peoples. They'll be coming for you."

Twista's Space Suit:
(The suit on the left, but purple where the gray is and a more silver trim instead of the white.)
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by JulietHasAGun 17th May 2017, 1:21 pm

Astrid had seen some shit, and she liked to say she was up with the times, but she must have missed whatever Starcraft spinoff movie this guy had come out of.

She didn't exactly know if normal cops had gotten sick of the shit she pulled, and had called in the elite Galaxy Cops; or if this guy was just some random weirdo like her, but what she did know was her little incident with a freighter had bore a witness; and that witness, while weird as hell, was at least not out to drag her off in chains.

"Well," She moved to pull down her sunglasses, but stopped, deciding to preserve what little sense of anonymity she had. "I would say 'I don't know what you're talking about', but judging from the spacesuit and the attitude I'm guessing you'd see right through that hokey, huh?" She smirked, kind of comforting to meet another weirdo, even if that weirdo was a bit more....externally weird. "And who? Daryl and Clyde at the truck stop gonna come by and try to rough me up?" She did her best impression of a 'damsel in distress', complete with a swooning hand. "If they do, I assure you, they'll end up like their buddy back there."

He gave her his best grin--then remembered she couldn't see his face. "Ya got spunk, boo," he said appreciatively, the mechanical voice sounding weird in his ears as it came out, "I like it. And Daryl, Clyde, Merl, and the fifty other family members of the Q'uir'taen Zor'ul aren't gonna be too happy."

Astrid raised an eyebrow, crossing her arms. "Alright, so using my masterful powers of deduction; either I'm on a superpowered episode of punked or you're telling me the redneck whose truck I just wasted knows...? What? Aliens? With way too many vowels in their names?"

She looked down at Sparky, who while not barking at the stranger, had her ears flat against her head. "Look, if Zirakesh Von Whateverthefucks fifty times removed redneck cousin didn't want trouble, he shouldn't have gotten handsy; I wasted him, and if any of his spacefaring kin start coming for me, I'll waste them too. You saw what I did to the truck, I know how to handle myself." Secretly, she was hoping she'd be long gone by the time any gun toting space men came to find out whoever forcibly tattooed their ugly redneck sibling.

He laughed. "Ya got sass, too? Damn, if you ain't the full package, Kiki," he said, shaking his head. "But hey, don't shoot the messenger. I actually approved of handlin' that shitshow, freeworld bitch. I'll need to send an 'anonymous tip' to the Kr'ell authorities--fucking with Earth, especially committing crimes against people on it, is grounds for serious time." He cringed. "Which will send them after you even faster...sorry, boo."

He began creating a twister underneath him that began lifting him up. "Anyway, I just wanted to give you a heads up. I'd like to stick around and see about askin' you to dinner, but I'm trying to stay out of trouble despite seeming otherwise. He winked at her, then sighed as he remembered she couldn't see him winking. Man, screw this mask bullshit.

She smiled, giving a small flourish of her hand. "I do try. Also; not trying to 'shoot' anyone, I just think this is stupid. Everything about it. What kind of alien disguises itself as a truck driver? An ugly redneck truck-driver. Couldn't have picked a cop, or a lawyer, or anyone that doesn't smell like barbecue chips and beer? Seems like a waste."

She raised an eyebrow up at him; yeah, definitely a weirdo like her. "Promises, promises. And you're right, I'm finding it incredibly hard to believe that the guy in the spacesuit is trying to stay out of anything."

He shrugged. "Trying a new way of life," he said simply. "And think about it. Who's gonna bat an eye at an unassuming truck driver? Even easier to prey on helpless--oh, FML." The sound of something loud moving from the way he'd just come could be heard, something moving fast. He looked to her. "Welp. You should've hit him harder. He woke up. And pissed."

With a roar, something large flew up into the air, then landed before Twista and the girl with an earth shattering rumble. It was a chrome blue and looked like a giant robot of death with huge arms with various blasters and bladed weapons attached to both the arms and along the shoulders. "You can't see it, dude, but I'm rolling my eyes. You're trying too hard."

An unintelligible slew of grunts and growls emanated from the mechanical creature. Well, unintelligible to the girl, maybe. "Uhh...loosely translated," Twista said in a bored tone, "You Doka Slaver Whore. I will shove various metal objects in your soft places and splice you into something unrecognizable, and display you as a pet as an example to anyone else who would dare. Unquote." He shook his head. "This foo sounds so damn cliche I wanna hurl..."

"Uh-huh." She responded, wholly unconvinced. She raised an eyebrow at the thunderous noise, Sparky hiding behind her legs. "Dunno, but I hit that asshole pretty hard."

She listened to his 'translation' still, thoroughly unimpressed. "I mean, points for the colorful descriptor, but the only metal object being shoved in any sort of 'soft place' will be my steel toe boot directly up your ass. Well- whatever you consider an ass." A crackle rose through the air, an electric ripple emanating from her chest. From below her collarbone sprung forth a staff, black and twisted, that she pulled from her chest and twirled in her hand. "And hey, don't harsh the classics. I'm sure 'Over-confident warlord alien douche' is retro-chic wherever the hell he's from."

She looked down at her dog, dropping her bag. "Now's the part where you go hide." The dog didn't need to be told twice, quickly skittering away.

"He's humanoid. He's got an ass," Twista said with a snicker. "Though technically he eliminates wastes--never mind." He looked over at her. "You can't see it, but I'm rolling my eyes. That blue chrome job is bullshit, and Optimus Prime called and said he's suing this loser for copyright infringement." His eyes jumped to the right as his trackers alerted him of incoming.

He leapt in time to avoid being skewered by an arm with spinning blades--but was then hit with a concussive blast that sent him flying. He grunted from the impact and sought to regain his balance while the mecha went for the girl, still hurling obscenities all the while.

"No offense, but I don't think the guy who looks like he comes from a Starcraft spinoff really has any room to talk about copyright infringement." She let her staff, levitate beside her, jumping on it with almost perfect balance as she zipped out of the path of destruction. "I dunno what you're saying, buddy- but I'll have you know my feelings are *very* hurt." She pulled her bandana up over her mouth, raising her hands.

"Mrof Ekat." Black, inky tendrils shot out from the desert floor, grappling onto the behemoths arms. "This'll hurt a lot less if you just hold still. Like the dentist! Though judging from the stench from your mouth I doubt you even know what those are."

Twista regained his equilibrium. "You wanna go there? Really?" he inquired drily, "When you're rocking a Dark Kiki look and using a freaking bandana to try and hide your face like some reject cowboy bandit. You're five kinds of hot, boo, don't get me wrong, but if you want to get to jonin', it ain't gettin' you outta the throwdown."

The machine set a few of its free blasters at the girl and let loose. Twista kicked up a dust storm to throw off their targeting sensors.

"Hey, a bandana is a classic. Clint Eastwood? John Wayne? Besides, I hear goth cowboys are all the rage with the kids these days. But hey, no need to get pointed, Starcraft has a great image going on, if that was your inspiration." She held her hands up placatingly, apparently not even noticing the flurry of projectiles headed her way.

At the last second a wall made of the same black, inky substance as the tendrils currently trying to hold the thing back surfaced in front of Astrid, with the blasts sinking into it like gelatin, slowing until they were disintegrated. "Wakka, wakka, wakka-" She grinned as she made a mocking Pacman impression, sticking her head around the wall. "Just so you know, your bullets taste deeelicious. You done?"

"Ehhhhhh," he said. "This isn't an image thing. This is one of my actual space suits for solar and terrestrial explorations. I...don't have a costume. I had to step out to help, I'm supposed to keep my identity a secret, so here we are." He dodged out of the way of the energy blasts as the man got smart and blasted the ground in front of the girl, lobbing a giant chunk of earth and shrapnel in her direction.

"So wait, you're like, what, Starlord? Iron Man? Why did you come back to earth if you were out there exploring who knows where. Blue skinned space babes weren't doin' it for you?" Astrid looked down, sliding off her staff, taking it into her hands like a makeshift racket.

"FOUR!" She smacked the giant chunk of earth back her assailant, full speed, momentum reversing itself around the object without even touching the staff.

"And yeah, it's an image, though. Just like my image is scruffy punk runaway who watched waaay too many cowboy movies; you just gotta roll with it." She twirled her staff in her hand, momentarily looking away from the giant metal thing attacking them.

"Speaking of rolling with it, what are we expected to do with him anyway? Space prison? Cryostasis, or something like that- Or are we just supposed to beat him into the ground until he stops moving. I'm flexible."

"Sometimes a guy's gotta return to his roots," he said with a laugh. "And with those legs, I bet you'd give most 'blue skinned space babes' a run for their money." He sighed inwardly cause he couldn't flash a cheeky grin. Cockblocking, fucking suit...

"And fair enough," he said as he watched the object hurtled be deflected by the creature. "But you should see my other suit..."

He landed next to her. "I don't have a dimensional teleporter, so that's out," he said. "Mostly right now, I'm just trying to keep him distracted."

"Are you kidding me?!" came the asshole's indignant voice in English. "Are you two F'ur'pakta having a conversation while I'm about to kill you?!"

"Conversation. Flirting. Why not both?" came Twista's mild reply. "I mean, have you seen--of course you have. That's how this shit started in the first place." He looked at the girl. "You got a name, Kiki? And just as importantly, ya got a favorite food...?"

"I mean, from where we're standing fighting you is at most a minor inconvenience. At this point you're embarrassing yourself with the trash talk. It's sad, really." She snapped her fingers, one of her black tendrils wrapping around the things mouth, trying to pull him backwards into the desert sand.

She turned to look at him, pulling the bandana down off her face. "You planning on wooing me in the space suit? Because usually introductions are made when people have at lease seen each others faces." She calmly pulled her sunglasses off her face, resting them atop her head, willfully ignoring the screaming alien standing a few feet away.

He stared dumbfounded as she took off her "mask." His scanners had already made facial recognition, he just wasn't allowing it to pull up her file. I like mystery, thank you very much. He made his visor go clear where his face was visible. "Tyre's the name," he said.

"Oh, that is it!" the man growled in his mecha. Suddenly, the blue chrome of his mecha glowed brilliantly and he burst free from the tendrils. Flying up several meters above them. He put his arms together and suddenly they became an overlarge proton cannon. Twista's scanners went wild. "Well, shit," he said. "You might've opened with that." He cast a glance to the girl. "That's actually a threat. Preliminary scans estimate a two mile radius area of blast..."

She gave him a brief look over; surprisingly, he looked human. Facially, at least- she was partially expecting a martian. Not that she was gonna tell him that. "Well then, my name's Astrid, nice to finally meet you." She winked, flicking her sunglasses back down over her eyes. "And now that introductions are over, could I kindly ask that you provide me with a temporary distraction? Need a moment if I'm going to try to stop cataclysmic destruction of nature."

Astrid turned to the mech, opening her arms. "Now, now, there's no need to get violent. I *would* say I'm *terribly* sorry that I wrecked your truck and left you face down in desert sand but, unfortunately, I'm not. I'm assuming it's a bit late to ask you nicely to put the mech away and we can go out for coffee or some shit like that?" She paused, lowering her sunglasses slightly.

"'We' meaning me and spacesuit over there, 'murderous' isn't exactly my type."

"Pleasure is definitely all mine," he said with a sly grin.

Upon listening to her, he chuckled. "Eh," he told her. "Save your energy. It's why I told him he should've opened with that." As if on cue, the mecha began flashing.

"Wh-what's going on?!" the asshole cried.

"I give you points for managing to get ahold of stolen Ra'Yaith tech," Twista called up. "Made that damn thing hard to hack." He gave him a thumbs up. "Mad props for gettin' me a coffee date, though! We'll pour a sip out in honor for ya!"

He turned his attention back to Astrid. "Thanks for helping me keep him distracted long enough to hack his gear. Soooooo...you want actual coffee or one of those caramel machiatto things...?

The mecha's lights deactivated and it fell out of the sky like a hunk of tinfoil, making an overlarge thud. Twista shook his head. "I mean, don't get me wrong. A giant robot is cool and all, but...in this case, it kinda felt like he was overcompensating..."

She watched flatly as the mech fell to the ground with a loud, crude 'thunk'.

"Aw, and I wanted to do that. Well- not that, feeding him through a portal would have been much more entertaining."  Astrid turned to face him, sparing one last wary glance at the hunk of metal. "Oh, coffee? Yeah, that was a joke. I'm more of a 'lunch overlooking the vast desert expanse' kind of girl. Or city, or, y'know, wherever. I'm not picky."

Slowly but surely, Sparky scampered back over, cautiously sniffing the mech, probably debating on whether or not to pee on it.

"And yeah, definitely compensating. You think it was ugly now, hoo boy, shoulda got a look at him before." Astrid watched as her dog cautiously padded over, sniffing her companion now that she had determined he wasn't a threat.

Tyre grinned. "Which leads me back to my original question: got a favorite food?"

He knelt down and held his hand out to the dog, letting him come to him, or not, of his own volition. "Psst," he whispered to the dog. "Help ya boy with yo girl and there's steak in it for ya..."

"Like I said, I'm not picky. Any place with air conditioning and a roof." Astrid watched as Sparky cautiously sniffed his hand, working her way up to his mask, probably leaving it with quite a few nose smudges.

"And, y'know, unless you've got a petsitter on speed dial, one that allows pets. Though don't you think we should clean up our little mess here?" She pointed her thumb back at the wreck behind her as the dog landed a couple licks on Tyre's mask. "Unless that metal suit biodegrades like Speedy Gonzales."

"There's a good boy," he said, scratching his ears. "What's his name?"

He looked at the hunk of metal. "Nah," he answered. "We're in the middle of BFE, it'll be fine. Not to mention, I may have already sent a message to the Kr'ell about a dirty child molester with millions in illegal gear just sitting on Earth where everyone can see. There'll be jurisdictional arguments, but I imagine they'll be here in the next hour or so. He's not exactly going anywhere. Told his bot to seal all the escape hatches until the authorities got here." He sighed. "I'd lose my street cred if the hood could see me now..."

He cleared his throat. "And that ain't gonna be a problem," he said. "Know a place in the city nearby. Italian. Also has damn good Chicago style pizza."

"It's a girl, and Sparky. Super original, I know." She squinted at the mech, not all too trusting of the 'sealed escape hatch' bit. "And yeah, sure, but if Dale over there starts coming after me again I'm gonna do a lot worse than play racket ball with him."

Her staff dissipated from her hand like ash, and she went to grab her bag which had been sitting on a mound of dirt a few paces over. "Chicago style? In Nevada? Either you're a mighty convincing liar or a man after my own heart. And judging from the weird getup I'm leaning towards the latter. Though I hope you plan on changing, I attract enough attention as is, and I'm just a normal flavor of weird. You're like, limited edition."

He shook his head. "That's the trick, milady," he said slyly. "You look for the real restaurants, not the flashy ones."

"I don't know about limited edition," he said, hitting a button on the chest piece. Immediately, the suit began dismantling until it was nothing more than an orb. Tyre put it in his pocket. "But I can rock it old school like New Edition."

Astrid quirked an eyebrow, looking at him with interest undercut by amusement. "You this charming to every weirdo you come across, or did my sweltering good looks and tendency to flip over semi trucks win you over?"

She whistled her dog over to her side. "As for a ride, I'd suggest hitch hiking but...well, look where that got me."

"Sass," he added. "You left out the sass." He gave her his best grin as he put his hands over his heart. "And what guy could resist such a show of dazzling ability?" His grin became a full on smile.

He nodded off northward. "As for transport, no worries. I called an uber. Should be a mile off that way soon." He grinned mischievously. "Do you wanna sing 'We're Off To See The Wizard," Glenda?"

"Ooh, and spaceman's got jokes. Well, as big a fan I am of musical accompaniment I'd suggest you consider a change in genre." She looked back in the direction where a useless pile of metal wasn't blocking the view. "Also I don't know what cab driver does pickup in the middle of a desert but hey, one of those days for everyone."  
JulietHasAGun
JulietHasAGun

Lion Cub Of Cintra

Back to top Go down

Post by xenolion 2nd July 2017, 7:31 pm

Approximately one hour after Acacia leaves, Xylina hears the sound of wretching in the bathroom.

Xylina is up immediately after hearing the vomiting noises.  “Do you need any assistance Miss?  You really should be careful with the leg.  It may still be hurting you.”  She quickly digs in her closet and finds an old set of crutches.  “Here you can use these.”

Omen looks up, her skin paling. "Where am I? What did I say?"

“You are at my apartment. Acacia brought you here.  Good thing too, your right tibula was completely shattered.  I had to take out shrapnel from it too.”  Xylina explains.  “You said something about something crossing stars.  And a thief being given power at the cost of gate bars.  A formless child summoning formlessness, and a diplomat bringing war.  Then you drew something.  Acacia took it though.  I did not see it.  I am sure she can tell you more, but you need to get something in you before I let you leave.  I can try to drive you as well.  I unless you can arrange transportation.”  

"I need to get downtown, we need to find them."

“Need to find who?  You aren’t going to be doing much with that leg of yours.  I healed it as much as I could, but I am not at my full ability.  I have been quite busy as you can imagine.”  Xylina warns her.  “I will take you back to Acacia.  I know she was worried about you.”

"Listen," Omen said, sharply. "There are five dead heroes, and somehow, they changed something. The world was safe a week ago. Now, I don't know who you are, and I know you think I'm crazy, but if I don't find another body I won't be able to see it again. Acacia can wait."

“I understand, but I don’t think you understand your condition either.  You are weaker than you think.  I was placed in charge of your safety.”  Xylina crosses her arms.  

...Sigh Omen sat down. "Do you have stimulants?" She began pulling out paper and pencils.

Xylina shakes her head.  She goes to her room to a hidden cabinet.  Normally she would not have a stash, but she is not a normal doctor.  This is not a normal situation either.  She stops in the kitchen for a glass of water.  She returns and sets a pill and the glass down for Omen.  She peeks at the paper.

Omen took the pill, and stared at the paper. "While I'm sober any questions? Acacia didn't seem to hesitate entrusting me to you. So I'm sure she thinks you can be included."

“I am not signing up for anything.  Currently, I am just a messenger and doctor.”  Xylina clarifies.  “I am supposed to give everything to Acacia.”

"Hmmph." She began to sketch. Her pencil moving in a clockwise circle, seemingly touching the paper for the slightest of moments. Steadily she began to work faster and three shapes began forming into the center. After a few minutes it became apparent they were faces, but with each pass they seemed to shift.

Xylina wants to believe that she doesn’t care, but she watches Omen draw the picture.  So far she can make out that Omen is drawing faces.  She wonders who the people will be and if it will be any one she recognizes.

Omen pauses a moment. She begins to feel sick, as her mind stresses. Her hand now begins to focus on one face.  It seems to contort and writhe underneath the pencil. As she finishes, she wretches dryly. Her hand moves on to the others again and she becomes relieved.

Xylina keeps a close eye on Omen.  Her body appears to show signs of distress, but not bad enough for her to interfere yet.  She really has to watch herself as well.  Xylina sees her switch hands.  She seems to stabilize.

As Omen finishes her second sketch, Xylina sees a boy she remembered as a patient years ago, he had been brought in for broken ribs. He had no guardians so Child Services arranged for him to be given a home.

Xylina gasps as the second face is finished.  She recognizes the face, even aged as it is.  It was one of her more memorable cases.  A young boy who was brought in for broken ribs.  He was beaten badly and almost did not make it.  She closes her eyes remembering the child services Agent taking him away.  “I remember him, but why are you drawing him now?”  She whispers softly not wanting to break the silence.

The third face was that of a madman, his eyes showed a keen intelligence, a sadistic smile played across his lips, greasy hair ran down his forehead.

Omen exited the trance, sipping one more water and observing her handiwork. "Jesus Christ, what did you change?"
xenolion
xenolion

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotrix 2nd July 2017, 7:44 pm

“What did who change?...Never mind it is none of my business.” Xylina looks at her clock. “You must be getting hungry. I am not a five star chef, but I can cook. Lie down and rest until I have the food done.” She looks at the picture one last time before beginning to stand.
Xylina covers her mouth. The first face makes her wretch as she looks upon it. Tumors litter the beings skin as something appears to crawl and slither beneath it's visage, the eyes alone appear human, but the look as if they are in agony.

"That would be nice. I know we got off to a rough start, but my name is Omen. Acacia keeps me around in case of the worst case scenario." We were helping clean up when I found one of the dead heroes, I touched them and now I'm here. So I figure I must have hit a major flashpoint. I know only one of these faces "

“I am Dr. Xylina Metairie.” She walks to the door of the bedroom. “I have only heard about the heroes. I recognize a face as well. The second one was a patient of mine.” She goes into the kitchen still not feeling right. She hopes they are don’t ask her what she fears they might. She begins to take out the food to prepare.

"Really, what was his name?" Omen asked quizzically

Xylina jumps slightly upon hearing Omen’s voice. “You are supposed to be sitting down. If you insist on being here sit in the stool with the leg raised.” She points a knife at the stools. “I only know a first name, Yewen. The last I saw him was being taken away by CPS.”

Omen sat on the stool. "You know, most people have a thousand questions when this sort of thing happens. The people who don't usually don't want to be asked questions."

“The latter is true here. I am a Doctor of the less fortunate. I have learned what questions to ask and what not to ask. I have also learned when to act and when not to. This is a time not to ask questions.” Xylina finishes chopping up the chicken. I hope you are in the mood for chicken fettucine.”

"Food is food, artists rarely see it. However, I do have to ask you one question."

“You may ask, but I reserve the right not to answer.” Xylina answers continuing the meal preparation.

"Why haven't you looked for other supers?"

Xylina pauses and takes the time to drain the noodles. “I am surprised you were able to deduce that I am a super. I have not needed any assistance. Being a ‘super’ is about helping people, and I am helping them to the best of my abilities. By flying under the radar, I am able to help more of the people who need it the most. If I had the ‘super’ label, I would not be able to help them.”

"That's not what I asked. I know why you might not where the pajamas," Omen motion to her casual state of dress, " but why not, you know, socialize?

Xylina laughs. “There I go sticking my foot in my mouth. That answer is easier, there isn’t much time. I just started my practice, but I still help out at the hospital upon request. Besides I have Katie here to keep me company.” She looks down at the cat rubbing against her let. She plates the noodles and pours the sauce over it. “Here is some cheese if you want it.”

"Mm. Well I might suggest finding the time. You can't afford to not have friends." Omen begins slurping down her meal, "Ah mean, luk ah me. Ah'd prackically meed a shraight jackeck."

“Not a straight jacket…a lobotomy maybe.” Xylina smirks at the young lady. “Well you know where I live now. If you ever need to crash you are welcome. I don’t see my schedule lightening up until the state of emergency is over. Do you still need that ride? Just be careful with the leg.”

"Well, I could use a ride downtown, but if that's off limits I guess I'd better call Doge."

“Let me get changed and I will give you that ride. It is better if less people know where I live. However you have to promise to be careful.” Xylina stands and places her plate in the sink and goes to her bedroom. She comes out in a shirt and jeans. She has her purse. “Come on, keep the crutches for as long as you need. You can return them to the clinic later. Don’t forget your picture, Acacia will want to see it.”
Geotrix
Geotrix

The Reborn... or Refurbished

Back to top Go down

Post by Geotrix 30th October 2017, 7:09 pm

Of all the places to send her, it was a payphone in in the middle of a park. It couldn't be the mall or the theater, but the middle of a park. The sign even said out of order, that's just a giant cliche.

Spry stands at the payphone in full garb, twirling the cord on her index finger. She leans against the booth whistling to herself. “Weird how this is even here. Are phone booths still a thing? That’s totally not conspicuous at all,” she says under her breath as the phone rings.

The phone kept ringing... and ringing... and ringing.
"Are you going to get that?" A tall pale man in a duster stood under the shade of an oak tree. A wide brimmed cowboy hat hid his face.

“I’m thinkin’ about i- whoa-hey there,” Spry says, nearly flipping over the booth. Atop the booth she now stands, the receiver still in her hand. “Uh… hi?”

The man, chuckled. "Whatcha packing? 82 protons of annoyance? Better be smart, Spry."

Spry arches an eyebrow and puffs a cheek. What does that even… “Oh, hey, you’re that Dead-Eye guy, aren’tcha? Toootally called it. Cowboy,” she says. She hops down and turns back to the booth. Sighing and answering the call, she leans back against the booth. “Heeello?” she says. “Spry here. Sorry for the delay. Got distracted by a super cryptic cliche, wrapped in a time anomaly. Did you know duster jackets were back in?”

"Okay. Now that your in the booth, ask for Vibe," the man's voice came over the phone.

Spry shrugs. “Hello, Operator? Can you patch me through to one DC Comics lawsuit? Yeah, that one. Oh, you saw that last episode, too! It's sooo good, right?! Anyway, thanks!”

click
The man in the duster was gone.

“Hmph,” Spry shrugs, staring at the receiver. “Some people really oughta learn to take a joke.”

A speaker crackles overhead. "Um, Miss, I'm guessing by your attire you're hear to see someone?" a girls voice inquired.

"Bingo," she replies. "I'm told I should see someone named Vibe, or whatever."

"Pull the ,lever Vibe!" A mechanical shudder sounded beneath Spry, and the floor fell out beneath her."WRONG LEVEEER!"

Spry instinctively leaps up the instant the floor starts to give. She stares down the tube. A smile suddenly spreads across her face at the gag and her eyes light up. "Ha! See? This guy gets it!" she says before hanging up the phone properly and sliding down. "Geronimo! Aaaaand..." Once out, Spry comes to a perfect stop. "She sticks the landing!"

"Red, did I hear that right or did she dodge the doors."
"Yeah, she's got jokes too." A little girl in a red cowboy hat and knee high dress ran up.
The room itself looked like a bachelor pad. It had an entertainment center and kitchen, as well as what appeared to be a computer station.

Spry looks around at her surroundings, hands on her hips. “Huh,” she says. She takes up a seat Indian-style in the middle of the floor. “Not what I was expecting. Guess that makes up for the super conspicuous front door to the super secret hideout. Anyone invading would be way confused if this was the first thing they saw outta that tube.” Spry looks up at the kid and blinks. “Okay, is there some sort of Old West Renaissance thing going on, today? Why all the cowboy gear?”

"Well, I guess cause I'm a gunslinger. The names Red Rider. Vibe is manning the cams. So who are you? Why are you hear? When's Gremlin and Octane getting back? Did they find meteor?"

Spry stares at the girl, wide-eyed. “Wow. And I thought I had lots’a questions,” she says. She hops to her feet, looking down at the girl with her hands on her hips. “Seriously, though. Is my marketing seriously not working. I paid good money for those ads. How do people just not know me, man?” She taps her foot for a moment, crossing her arms and glancing off to the side. “Well whatever. In order I am the Sensational Spry! I’m here because a big tall dude with an attitude, and a guy who looks a lot like your big brother, told me to come to this booth and talk to a ‘Vibe’. As for the other questions, I have no idea who either of those people are, and-“ Spry suddenly gasps enthusiastically, kneeling down to eye-level with the kid. “There was a meteor? For real?! That is totally awesome! Can I see?”

"Well, you knew who to ask for so why not? Follow me?" The girl ran to the television and turned it on. "As far as we can tell, while everyone was busy fighting Ragnarok, a meteor unrelated to the event crashed in the desert not far from here. Octane and Gremlin went to investigate... Wait you're the girl who does those birthday parties."

“Whoa. Cool,” Spry says, beaming at the screen. She perks up and looks over to the girl at the mention. “Yep! Among other things. But that’s me!”

At that moment, the lights flickered and electricity surged out of a nearby outlet. Quickly forming into a being approximately 4'5" in height, but no distinct features. "Hey guys, Octanes running late so I'm calling a privaaaaaate- I don't know you."

"Okay, time to call my agent and work on a marketing plan," Spry says, slumping a bit disheartened. She springs back up rather quickly. "Hi. I'm Spry. Nice to meet you Mr..."

"Gremlin. I've heard the name, just forgive me if I can't recognize the face, I can't view television the way most people do, and reading ads is impossible. Why are you here?"

"That's a great question," Spry says. She reassumes her Indian-style seating on the floor, looking off into space. "I had a sit-down with some tranforming guy. Or maybe he was possessed or something? He was nice. Then there was something about a Shadowman, and a lot of cowboy hats. And now I'm here. Hi. How's it goin'?"

"Wait, wait, Dan sent you? Did he say why?"

Spry shrugs. "I'unno. Didn't seem like the kind of guy who'd just straight up tell anyone what he was up to. Gave me that whole 'Cryptic Mysterioso' vibe, y'know?" She rocks side by side for a bit, staring back at the meteor on the screen. "Y'know. Disappears when you aren't looking, and stuff? Do people still think that's cool? Said something about joining a New Olympus or some- Ooooooh."

"He didn't disappear he's just fast. It's a perk of his condition. So he wanted you to join us?"

"Guess so, yeah," Spry says. "Don't ask me why, though."

"Well, then good, that makes my job easier. Like I said private meeting. Octane is not to hear about this, Vibe come out here."
An teenage boy walked out. He wore a jacket with speakers on the torso, strange gauntlet with wires linked to the fingers of his gloves and headphones. "What's up, boss?"

"Somewhere Warner Bros' lawyer senses are tingling," Spry murmurs to herself. She turns back to the new arrival, waving heartily. "Hiya! You're the guy I was told to ask for! I assume, anyway."

"Yeah I watch the gate." [color:f747=#00ffff ]"Alright we'll catch up later," Gremlin interjected,"First thing's first, this team has been in hangar status too long, My squad just lost one of our own, so I can no longer sit here and babysit while Octane refuses to pick new members. Spry, congrats you have the position if you want it. That leaves us two squad members short of a full team and one short of getting out of hangar status. So be mission ready in two hours, Dan isn't the only one who did me a favor. Questions?"

Spry raises her hand like a kid in school. "Yup. I got one. What the heck did any of that mean?"

"Our team is to small to fight bad guys so for safety we just patrol. A full team has 5-6 people, so Gremlin has been away from his team helping us until Octane recruited more, but-" Red looked at her feet."But she hasn't gotten over the other's dying," inserted Vibe.

Spry blinks. "Patrols? People actually do that? Huh. Wait, now? But I just got here," she says.

"I know, it's mighty convenient too, cause the DP are moving, and that means they plan to recruit someone. I say let's beat them to the punch," stated Gremlin.

Spry allows for a beat of silence to pass before saying anything, hoping someone would explain that statement. "The who?"

"The Desolation Patrol, Spry are you up to date on current events?"

"Define current," Spry remarks.

"...I can see why Dan sent you. Alright everyone, break. I'll stay behind and get Miss Spry up to date. Vibe, put word out to Octane to get the Bus."
Geotrix
Geotrix

The Reborn... or Refurbished

Back to top Go down

Post by JerriLeah7 14th December 2017, 1:19 am

==> Archived
JerriLeah7
JerriLeah7
Administrator

Soul Bearer