Gateway to Role-Play
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stars Align

Page 8 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stars Align - Page 8 Empty Stars Align

Post by Red 9th November 2014, 4:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

"Hey, time to wake up over there."

Rivkah looked up from the hand mirror at the man standing across the room from her at an easel. The man nodded at her, pushing up his glasses with paint-covered hands, leaving a drop of red on the bridge of his glasses. "How you feeling?"

Rivkah dropped the mirror on the bed next to her, leaning forward and resting her elbows on her knees. "...Tired," she said, for lack of a better word. A better word might be... distant? Like the feeling you got after a long time spent daydreaming. "What time is it?"

"Nine," Dylan said, his light brown curls falling down between his glasses and his eyes as he turned back to his painting. He blew up at the hair, trying to get it out without using his hands. "See anything?"

Rivkah shook her head. "Jack shit," she said, blinking hard. "Maybe something, but I don't remember it."

"Don't let it discourage you. Probably we haven't found the right medium for you yet," he said, studying his painting. "It's easy to get lost looking, too."

"I know," she muttered, standing up and stumbling as her legs nearly gave way. She felt way too weak after that.

"I was gonna order pizza soon if you want any," Dylan said, putting down his palette on a table near the easel. "You probably shouldn't go out yet like that,"

"Pizza is awesome," Rivkah said, wandering over towards the window and pulling open the blinds. She stared down from Dylan's window on the fifth floor of his apartment complex to the city below. Clubs were starting to light up already, filling up with college kids drinking and dancing away the weekend. Dylan lived in the heart of the 'college' district of the city, near the university campus - the guys who lived there called it Dinkytown.

She heard the sound of running water as Dylan turned the sink on. "You gonna go out and join them?" he asked.

Rivkah shrugged. "Maybe. Why the hell not."
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Stars Align - Page 8 Empty Re: Stars Align

Post by EphPhoenix 6th December 2014, 10:45 pm

Teuto laughed at her outburst. "Hard way, it is, then!" he said cheerfully. He pulled what looked like a piece of chalk--except the symbols he was writing were being drawn in the air by it. In seconds, he had three circles circumscribed. One, looked like a drawing of fire, another like nonsense, the third was the Nordic symbol for lightning.

He smiled at her broadly. "Now, jailbait," he began, "I'm about to call fire. Which of these symbols can hurt you?"
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 6th December 2014, 10:49 pm

"Oh fuck off," she said, not looking behind her, already knowing she probably couldn't tell. Fuck you. She'd already said she wasn't going to play his games. Does he even know what jailbait means?
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 6th December 2014, 10:56 pm

"The correct answer is," his voice became evilly happy, "all of them are equally possible!" He spouted nonsense and immediately, each symbol beelined through the air for the girl and shout out a gout of flame. The random drawing shot out the hottest geyser, the actual drawing of flame a burst of flame, and the Nordic lightning gave a weak, but effective, cough of flame. Each shot and chased after her, shooting another repeat of flames in an interval, each after the other. It was enough to keep her on her toes, but not to put her in real danger.

"Time's a-waistin', jailbait!" he called with a laugh. "Though I hear third degree burns suck!"
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 6th December 2014, 11:24 pm

Rivkah's face went dark, anger twisting it almost beyond recognition. She yelled an incantation, reaching her hand to the wall of the building next to them and melding into the shadows.

She jumped out of the shadow next to and behind him, grabbing his shoulder. She spun him around and threw him into the wall with surprising force. "You insane fuck," she said, disappearing back into the shadow on the wall as the flames chased her.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 6th December 2014, 11:28 pm

He grunted and laughed more. "Thanks!" he said. "There was an itch back there I was needing scratched and you got it!" He wasn't going to have a body for much longer if he kept taking hits like that! She'd already displayed above normal strength before, the amazon. Well, it just made it more fun.

"Quickly, now!" he said cheerfully. "They're only gonna get more determined! Of them, which looks like flame the most?"
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 6th December 2014, 11:41 pm

She reappeared just next to him, stomping her booted foot down on his as she threw her elbow into his side. In an instant, she was gone again, reappearing half a block down outside of one shadow, vicious, inhuman anger in her eyes.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 6th December 2014, 11:45 pm

He grunted, but showed no other outward signs of pain as he tucked it in the back of his mind. "As you wish. Pick up, boys. Jailbait, here, is thick! Also..." He said something that sounded guttural and harsh, chilling the blood of anyone in earshot. She would not like it when she entered the shadows, now. The three symbols picked up their pace, keeping her mind on keeping out of their line of fire.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 6th December 2014, 11:53 pm

Any other person might have been more focused on staying clear of the flames, but Rivkah was not any other person. Rage fueled her, and so when she leaped into the shadows again and felt barbs tearing at her skin, she pushed through it, reappearing behind him and slamming a fist into a kidney. She grabbed the back of his suit, pulling him between her and the flames.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 6th December 2014, 11:59 pm

"Wow!" he said, wincing. "I'll be pissing blood for the rest of the night thanks to--" His words were lost as the flames shot out--and went through him like he wasn't there--he twisted enough, though, that she only felt a slight burn as opposed to the full blast. "It was a nice thought, though. I'd let me go, now," he added pointing as the next symbol shot for her.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 7th December 2014, 12:21 am

She didn't seem to care, flinching as she felt a burn but continuing her assault on him. She grabbed the back of his suit and swung him around into the wall again, slamming her foot into the side of his knee.

His arrogant bullshit reminded her of her dad. This was not a good thing.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 7th December 2014, 12:30 am

He blinked as a gout of flame coughed at her and she made no effort to dodge it, much more focused on beating him half to death. There was nothing for it. He hadn't had to use this one since grade school. He chanted singsongy. "Gnihtyreve uoy od semoc kcab elbuod!"

Her next blow to his jaw struck and he winced as he saw her stumble as she received twice of what she gave him in the same location. "What? I was six. And not bad, anyway."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 7th December 2014, 1:27 am

That one hurt. She was trying pretty damn hard to hurt him, so her own strike dazed her and, now the fact that she wanted to hit him but couldn't only pissed her off more.

In the back of her mind, she recognized she needed to get out so she could think, and she melded back into the shadows as the flames came for her. She fell back out quickly less than a block over, the pain from his spell too much for her to stay in there, and took off running.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 7th December 2014, 1:32 am

His spells chased after her and he had no intention of calling them off. No wonder she didn't know much, she was a little unhinged. Probably got her tutelage piecemeal. Well, she was a curse practitioner for a reason. They generally always weren't playing with a full deck.

He released the folding of his pain and leaned against the wall as the awareness hit him full force. He sighed. He was going to have to go see her a little early. He started walking away; he needed to be fighting fit and that lunatic had made sure he wasn't. It only made him like her more, bless the brat.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 7th December 2014, 3:17 am

The bastard things didn't stop pursuing her, and she eventually ducked into an alley, darting in and out of shadows to dodge them as she attempted to stay out of sight. Christ, what the fuck would make them stop?

She pointed at the one that looked most like flames as it shot at her. "That one!" she said. It immediately stopped, and the three symbols all dissipated at once. Rivkah dropped her arm, breathing hard with clenched fists.

That... that idiot.

He had to do something flashy. He had to risk drawing attention so he could play teacher. He might as well have fucking set off fireworks, anyone looking probably noticed. And now she was injured - well, both of them were - injured and alone and this couldn't possibly end well.

He started it, sure, but she didn't help it. But she was so fucking angry - there was nothing she hated more than being pushed around like that. Than having her weakness fucking called out to be mocked. Fuck him. But she had to find him before someone else found one or both of them.

Rivkah quickly muttered an incantation, melding back into the shadows again and racing for the spot she'd left him at.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 7th December 2014, 3:43 am

He knocked on the door. Been a while since he'd had to do that. He technically still had a key, but no way in hell...

He heard the locks being unlatched and the door open revealing Katie. She was wearing black yoga pants and a brown sweater that bared one of her shoulders. Her hair was tied in a loose bun, the one she always put it in when she was working and needed her hair out of the way. He grimaced. That look had always driven him wild.

Her brown eyes regarded him with concern. "What the fuck happened?" she said eying. Thank God. She was off the clock. "You look like somebody used your face for a punching bag."

"They did. She hits good for a girl."

"A girl did this to you?!" she exclaimed incredulously. She suddenly grinned as she stood out of the doorway to let him in. "That charm of yours finally wearing off, huh?"

"Actually," he said with a laugh, "I was playing teacher. The brat didn't like it."

She blinked. "Never mind," she said. "I don't wanna know. I suppose you came for some more healing." She blinked at him. "Though it looks like you've already got one going. Mixing spells is risky business, buster."

"Don't care. Gotta get back on your case. Got a lead and I'm about to crack it open and see what goodies fall out, piñata style."

She sighed. "C'mon, then. Must be important. This is the first time you've been here in a while."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 7th December 2014, 11:09 am

He was long gone by the time she showed up, and Rivkah paced, uncertain. Lots of places he could've gone, maybe straight to the cathedral but that seemed stupid. Dick's place?

She doubled back towards the bar - even if he wasn't there she could probably kill a lot of time there.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 7th December 2014, 8:32 pm

Dick cocked an eyebrow when the girl walked back in. "Where's Teuto?" he said. "Did something happen?" He reached under the bar and pulled out a plastic bag, filling it with ice and sliding it toward her.

"You're going to have to stop with these blatant magical acts. You're skirting the rules, but eventually, you're going to have them come down on you."

"And I'll tell them where to shove it like the last time."

Katie sighed. "You don't get to do what you want without consequences forever Teuto--what is with that ridiculous name?"

"A gentleman can't divulge all his secrets, now can he?"

"Show me a gentleman..."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 7th December 2014, 8:57 pm

"That's what I was going to ask," she said, pulling herself up onto a stool at the bar. She looked down at the ice pack and sighed. "We made it twenty feet before I beat the shit out of him," she admitted, taking the icepack and placing it against the back of her neck where the flames had caught her.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 8th December 2014, 3:13 am

Dick shook his head and sighed. "He's go an...unorthodox way of dealing with people," he said, sliding her a tin full of ointment. "Put it on the burns. But that wouldn't have been enough to make him take leave of you. Even if you knocked all his teeth out.

"Figured it'd come to blows," he added. "It's a wonder it didn't happen sooner with that massive boulder you're sportin' on your shoulder. Not that he was helping with the jailbait comments." He chuckled.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 8th December 2014, 8:40 am

"Obviously it was," she said, taking the ointment with a nod. She gave him a sour look at his later words before she sighed, letting it go. She looked down at her jacket, now with scorch marks as well as the knife hole. It was such a nice jacket. "Any idea where he mighta run off to?"
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 8th December 2014, 11:24 am

"May as well ask where the wind blows," he said with a chuckle. "But even he can't work if he's as bad off as you say, so there are only a couple of likely places. Besides, he'll be here in ten minutes. Texted him as soon as you came in."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 8th December 2014, 1:09 pm

Rivkah gave him a look and laid her head down on her arms on the counter. "Tell me when the fuck shows up," she muttered into her arms. She didn't like seeing him again on his terms, but it was smart - it wasn't safe to go out alone. But it didn't mean she had to like it. Or him.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 8th December 2014, 3:21 pm

Teuto stumbled in looking very elated and glowing. Literally. It was slight, but it was there. Dick whistled through his teeth. "Mixing magics, man."

"I know right!" he exclaimed giddily. "Ah! Jailbait! There you are! I see you got rid of my symbols!"

He sat down, then said cheerily. He waved his hand and the three symbols returned. "Chillax, corporal, they won't attack," he said when she got wary. "Now, this one is the typical symbol for fire, but did it burn you the most? Oh, quit looking around furtively, they can't see us. Well, Dick can, but that's beside the point."

Dick shook his head and slid her a cup of brandy. "Never happened and don't get used to it."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 8th December 2014, 4:06 pm

Rivkah lifted her head from her arms as he appeared, and her face darkened as he spoke to her. She took in a deep breath to stay calm, looking at him out of the corner of her eye as he rambled on.

She gave Dick a grateful look as he slipped her brandy, and she grabbed it and chugged it immediately, slamming the glass down as soon as she finished. Rivkah took another breath, turned, and slapped Teuto across the face.

"If I wanted your 'teaching,' I would have fucking asked for it," she said.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 8th December 2014, 4:29 pm

He giggled. "If I wanted assassins on my doorstep, I'd have asked. If you can't even make polite conversation, go it on your own." He stood up, dispelling the illusion. "Dick, always a pleasure. I've wasted enough time on overly sensitive asses who are too prideful to realize they don't know shit."

Dick winced. "Teuto..." he said, "maybe if you explained..."

Teuto laughed again. "The time for explanations have passed, my friend. Let little miss knows everything do her thing and I'll do mine. Call her a cab if she needs it and put it on my tab."

Dick raised his eyebrows in surprise, then hid it just as quickly. Teuto waved as he headed out the door. "T-T-F-N!"
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top