Gateway to Role-Play
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stars Align

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stars Align - Page 12 Empty Stars Align

Post by Red 9th November 2014, 4:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

"Hey, time to wake up over there."

Rivkah looked up from the hand mirror at the man standing across the room from her at an easel. The man nodded at her, pushing up his glasses with paint-covered hands, leaving a drop of red on the bridge of his glasses. "How you feeling?"

Rivkah dropped the mirror on the bed next to her, leaning forward and resting her elbows on her knees. "...Tired," she said, for lack of a better word. A better word might be... distant? Like the feeling you got after a long time spent daydreaming. "What time is it?"

"Nine," Dylan said, his light brown curls falling down between his glasses and his eyes as he turned back to his painting. He blew up at the hair, trying to get it out without using his hands. "See anything?"

Rivkah shook her head. "Jack shit," she said, blinking hard. "Maybe something, but I don't remember it."

"Don't let it discourage you. Probably we haven't found the right medium for you yet," he said, studying his painting. "It's easy to get lost looking, too."

"I know," she muttered, standing up and stumbling as her legs nearly gave way. She felt way too weak after that.

"I was gonna order pizza soon if you want any," Dylan said, putting down his palette on a table near the easel. "You probably shouldn't go out yet like that,"

"Pizza is awesome," Rivkah said, wandering over towards the window and pulling open the blinds. She stared down from Dylan's window on the fifth floor of his apartment complex to the city below. Clubs were starting to light up already, filling up with college kids drinking and dancing away the weekend. Dylan lived in the heart of the 'college' district of the city, near the university campus - the guys who lived there called it Dinkytown.

She heard the sound of running water as Dylan turned the sink on. "You gonna go out and join them?" he asked.

Rivkah shrugged. "Maybe. Why the hell not."
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Stars Align - Page 12 Empty Re: Stars Align

Post by EphPhoenix 17th January 2015, 12:21 am

"I can see why that reckless idiot took an interest in you," the boy said approvingly. "You've got talent. Raw and a vicious temper, but talent.

"And I'm here cause it suits me." He walked over to a nearby candy store and helped himself to jellybeans. "Ooh! Mango flavored! I'm in heaven!" He looked up quickly, then to his left. "A meat grinder, eh? I hope you're as good as you think you are. The head hunter isn't with them, so maybe..."

He looked at her again. "So, are you a virgin? Cause that would be so boring."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th January 2015, 1:01 am

Once she settled in the shadows it was surprisingly easy to stay - really, she was more worried about making it out now. Maybe she should have learned this before shadowwalking - she usually just dove in and hopped out without taking time to think.

The demon looked hazy from within the shadows, like he and everything else were what was in shadow. But he seemed to see her fine. She smirked at his question, but stayed quiet. She was hiding after all.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th January 2015, 1:19 am

Four brown, dog-like creatures walked into the food court, sniffing the air and growling. They had shaggy, damp, dark brown fur that was matted into spikes with a long tail that had a furry hand at the end of it. Their eyes glowed yellow and their yellowed teeth glistened with saliva as they walked, looking for their prey.

The boy simply watched them, eating his jelly beans with relish. He crinkled his nose. "Damn, you mutts stink." he groaned, sticking his leg out and tripping one of them.

It tumbled over into one of the others and they brought the others down. From there, it devolved into growls and flying fur as they fought amongst themselves. "I'd so get out of here while they're distracted. Up those stairs and hang a right. The area's coated with mist, but if you move just right you should be able to get through it."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th January 2015, 1:45 am

She grimaced, giving him a suspicious look. This was a good place to do a summons, but if the dogs were gonna stick around it wasn't.

Rivkah shifted in the shadows, popping out outside the store and hopping through smaller shadows to the stairs. Why she was listening to him...

"Where exactly are you leading me?" she said as she came upon the mist, just as he said, with the barest of paths through it, just as he said.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th January 2015, 10:55 am

"Well, it's your choice," the boy said up ahead of her. "You can deal with the snarly monsters this way and the creature at the end...or you can take the way with no creatures that leads directly to the head hunter--which they had a pretty nice funneling plan going. Mind you keep your pretty little head down when you clear this shit or the lemonsters are going to spot you and then all our hard work will be for naught.

"Man, you certainly know how to piss off the right people, lass! I haven't had this much fun in a dog's age!
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th January 2015, 11:11 am

"I didn't even - that's not what I meant," she said, pulling her pocketknife out and getting ready for some cursing. "I mean the end goal, smartass. You said there's no way out so where the fuck are we going?
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th January 2015, 1:50 pm

He stopped and looked at her for a long minute before falling over and laughing. "Get the wax out of your ears, lass!" he said in between gales. "I said you couldn't shadow-walk out of here. I never said you couldn't leave the place normally! Oh, you're a bonnie one!"

He righted himself and dusted off his kilt. "Though be wary of the main exits. They have a sniper guarding them."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th January 2015, 2:13 pm

"What, so you mean they have this place magically locked down but didn't think about me just walking out of here?" Jesus that was stupid, there were tons of service exits, one sniper on the main doors wasn't going to stop her.

Still, it changed things for her. So take every one of them on... or get the fuck out of here. She was a little disappointed - she had been kinda looking forward to summoning a demon and raising hell and all - but she wanted out.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 20th January 2015, 1:26 am

"Oh, they thought about it," he said, his eyes glowing, "which is why the entire place is swarming with the creatures--and that mist. Some of the smaller exits are impassably covered. In fact, they were trying to funnel you if they couldn't outright take you.

"Now, I'd get a move on, lass, unless you'd like to know what a cork feels like."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 20th January 2015, 11:16 am

"Yeah, yeah," she muttered, starting to pick her way cautiously through the mist. Hell of a lot of effort here being used on her - and they must have pulled it together in only a few hours, if they expected the padfoot to kill her yesterday. Fuck this shit.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 24th January 2015, 9:09 pm

The area was pregnant with a tense silence as the duo moved along. They came to a collection of gaming and trend shops, but the sounds of many creatures could be heard in the distance. The young boy kept on guiding her, leading her away from the thickest of trouble as they attempted to escape the trap she was in.

"Alright," he said walking out and standing on the balcony, looking around, "we're close, but it won't be as easy..."

There was a hideous, blood-curdling roar and the boy's eyes lit up with delight. "Ooh! Daddy's hungry!"
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 24th January 2015, 10:00 pm

Rivkah cringed, bending over and bringing her hands up to her ears at the roar. "Jesus fuck," she said. "Where to now?" she said quickly, straightening. She didn't ask what it was - she didn't think she wanted to know.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 28th January 2015, 9:06 pm

The boy pointed. "There. Safest way out of this place," he told her. He gave her a rueful look. "Too bad you'll have to go through that to get there."

There was another roar and the thing came into view. It was an amalgamation of rocks and trees that made for an armored plant golem. It's eyes glowed with a bright, iridescent yellow and it let out another bloodcurdling roar as it stomped about, searching for prey.

"Good luck, sweets," the boy said amusedly, sitting on a nearby banister to watch.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 29th January 2015, 11:16 am

Rivkah swore as he left her with the golem, and she darted to the sides to press against the nearest wall.

She didn't want to duel that, so it looked like she'd be playing the sneaking game again. There wasn't any single shadow that'd take her past it, so she'd have to be tricky. The golem itself cast a pretty enormous shadow...

Rivkah took a breath and melded into the shadows, searching for a way around it.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 10th February 2015, 7:42 am

The way to the door was littered with brambles and vines that had overgrown the area. They effectively would make getting around them difficult, let alone trying not to touch them.

The ground shook as the behemoth searched for prey, snarling and letting out the occasional roar. The boy sat on the railing and watched her avidly, waiting.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 5th March 2015, 11:56 am

Rivkah grimaced as the thing cast about, hugging the wall as she searched for shadows to travel in. There had to be a way she could avoid this fight...

She stepped forward, hopping through one shadow and exiting it in between some of the vines on the ground, and she leaped over the vines in front of her as quick as she could to the next shadow.

"That's not gonna work!" the boy called. "That corridor is filled with li--" A hideous roar erupted as one of the branches shook. "Here it comes! Flash it your chest! Maybe that'll distract it!"

"Son of a - " The thing turned, and Rivkah disappeared into the shadow beneath her, vanishing just in time before it struck. She breathed hard within the shadow, staring at the golem as it moved overhead.

The beast roared with fury, bounding over with a speed that seemed to defy its mass then leapt, turning into a giant landslide of dirt, wood and rock that crashed where she had been, shaking the ground with monster truck force and putting a crater into the area.

She winced as the dirt came crashing down, and Rivkah immediately backpedaled, exiting her shadow back where she started. She reached for another shadow and jumped up a level onto a balcony. So fucking much for that.

The boy clapped. "Excellent!" he said, trying to hide the relief he felt. "Thought for sure you were a pancake! You should be more careful! That thing's a beast!"

"That's why I was trying not to fight it," she snapped back. Well, now it knew she was here. "So much for that."

"And I told you that was unavoidable," he said mildly. "It's got feelers everywhere around here!" His face took on a thoughtful cast. "You definitely can't fight it head on. Maybe you could trick it...?"

"What, draw its fire and then run away or something?" she said, leaning on the balcony railing as the golem started to shift.

The large mound of dirt spun into a vortex and reformed into the giant beast as it reformed.

"I'd go back to silence, now," he said. "It can't hear me, after all. But you're on the right track." The beast cast around, letting out a howl of fury. "And I'd hurry, cause it has to be drawing people to this location after that last attack..."

Rivkah crouched on the balcony as the thing got back on its feet. Was the time it spent recovering long enough for her to sprint for the exit? Probably not with it right there...

She didn't really need to sprint though, did she? With a breath, she shadowwalked back down a level, crouching a moment before she stood up. "HEY CUNT," she hollered.

The boy grinned. "Such a colorful mouth. Seriously," he called, "have you ever been laid?! Want to be?"

The beast roared, stomping and turning in her direction as it locked onto her, becoming a living landslide.

Rivkah turned and sprinted away, jumping shadows when she ran into them and running as far back as she could manage I need to work out mooore, she thought, as she stopped and turned to face it.

She waited til it was nearly on her before disappearing into the shadow beneath her feet.

Poles and benches were sent flying or overturned by the force of this monstrous living avalanche. It slammed onto the spot she disappeared, causing the entire area to cave in.

"Holy shit, that thing wants you dead!" the boy said with a laugh as she reappeared. "Go!" A flash of recognition crossed over his face and he looked back. "And make it snappy!" he added with urgency.

Man he was invested. She was startled a moment by his urgency, but she soon took off, jumping shadows to the exit that now lay wide open.

She burst through the doors - sweet, sweet freedom - and almost threw her hands up in celebration. They may still have, what was it, snipers? No relaxing yet. She hugged the wall of the mall and started walking fast as she could away from the mall.

She would suddenly hear a scream from overhead and a man fall to the ground. Up on the roof, the boy stood with an innocent smile that was damning. "Oops!" he said.

She looked up quickly and smirked. Looks like he got the sniper for her. Rivkah gave the boy a small salute and kept walking. She was glad for his help and all... but she didn't want to stick around and find out why he did.

"You owe me a boob shot!" he called after her before disappearing.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 5th March 2015, 3:50 pm

He left Dick's place with a full belly and a new number--one he didn't want. Oh, now she wanted lessons? Something was fishy there. He wasn't falling for that. However, he had promised her one thing.

Keep your head down. They're trying to kill you because they're making counterfeit magical items of great power--the bauble from the other day. You're a loose end that needs tying up. Good luck.

He sent the message and a thought occurred to him. They hadn't exactly been trying to kill him. There was that time when norms invaded his shop, and then Riv bringing unwanted company. But there'd been nothing else besides that first time specifically targeted at him. Hmm...
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 5th March 2015, 4:56 pm

As she walked, keeping her head down, she reached into her pocket to see she'd gotten a text some time during the chaos. Rivkah smiled and saved the number into contacts as The Silver Surfer. So at least now she had his phone.

She texted him back quickly. Watch out yourself. They're going hard. The question now was, where to?

She sent a quick text out to Dylan to casually ask what he was up to, making sure he was okay. Did she retreat now to the Coven? Her gut twisted at the thought, but she couldn't think of anywhere else. Damn.

She started for the nearest bus stop before she stopped herself. If they had no hesitation about attacking an entire mall, a crowded bus wasn't going to stop them either. She sent another text quickly to Dylan as she started to walk to the apartment. Don't freak out, but if I'm not back in an hour look for me.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 5th March 2015, 5:07 pm

He should've kept his big thoughts shut. No sooner had he cleared the block where he lived then a car sprang to life and charged for him. It resisted magic, of course, and then came the guys inside with machine guns. He dipped into an alley with his head down as the sound of hot metal slagging brick and pavement clashed around him.

It was genius against most witches: using norms armed with magic repelling gear. Your average witch would be stumped and or killed. Teutorigos Caomh wasn't your average witch.

He stood on a sewer lid and, using a gust of powerful wind, launched himself to the roof of a nearby building. Being a snoop meant often throwing yourself in situations where magic alone wasn't enough--especially if some of the creatures you faced were highly magical creatures themselves. He smiled as he remembered the witch's face when he's pulled a gun on him and shot him point blank. "How mundane" had been his last words.

"Property values are about to take a hit..." he said with a sigh as the men had gotten out of the car to follow him down the alley while two others drove around in the car. "Avalanche!" he called out in Latin.

The men reacted and followed his voice, shooting their automatic weapons with a relentless barrage. "Shit," he growled, "they've enchanted their guns!"

Luckily, that wasn't a problem for much longer as the tops of the buildings began to degrade and deform as their bricks, mortar, and the metal fire escape came tumbling down on the screaming assholes. Three down, two more to go.

When she got within three blocks of home, tire wheels squealed and men with automatic weapons stuck their guns out the windows and opened fire on Rivkah. People screamed and scattered as bullets began flying everywhere like candy. This was not her day.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 5th March 2015, 6:22 pm

"Son of a bitch," she growled, breaking out into a run and disappearing into the shadow of a building.

She dropped out around the corner, running to the next building and disappearing into the next shadow. She was starting to get tired of playing hide and seek like this.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 5th March 2015, 6:42 pm

"Circle around and see if we can find her!" one called in the car. "They said this would be a tricksome bitch!"

The car's tires squealed as they peeled out and drove around the neighborhood, trying to find her. They weren't giving up any time soon.

Teuto dusted his hands, walking away and toward home. Behind him a large stone gargoyle had fallen on a car with two very battered thugs with automatic weaponry lay inside. Such a shame how shoddy construction was these days.

"Alright, bitches," he said. "You want a showdown, you're gonna get one. When my potions and counterspells are done...your asses are mine..." It was one thing to challenge him, another entirely to keep encroaching on his home.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 5th March 2015, 9:43 pm

God she was so pissed she still had to do this.

They eventually gave up on searching for her, and she found them parked a block away from her apartment complex. On second thought, don't go outside looking for me, she texted Dylan quickly and furiously.

She looked over at their car again from inside her shadow. Well, if they were going to be so kind as to wait for her...

Rivkah slowly began to smile, running back through the shadows to an alley several blocks away. They were going to regret hounding her.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 6th March 2015, 5:52 am

He made it back to his place with no further incursions. He walked into the house carrying two of their magically enhanced automatics. When the enemy hands you weapons...

He poured a little dissolution water on them, eliminating the claim their owners could take to bypass his defenses. They'd not pull that little trick on him twice--even though technically he hadn't been the one to do it the first time. From there, he went to check on his spells and potions. He hated how everything took so damn long to do.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 3rd April 2015, 5:48 pm

Rivkah stood in an alley two blocks from her apartment complex, behind a dumpster in the shadows. She stood in the space between two nested circles - an 'innie' and an 'outie'. Containment circles were a branch of magic that was more extensive than one might think, given how many magical creatures witches had to deal with over time. The circle she stood within was an 'outward facing circle', or an outie - it kept people out but allowed anyone within to leave. This would keep her from being disturbed. The circle she stood outside, and which she planned to summon her demon in, was the 'inward facing circle' - keeping anything within it in, but allowing outside people and objects to enter.

Her runes she painted on the ground in chalk and reinforced with salt and ash - in the demon's circle she placed a lit candle - that should make sure the demon ended up in the right circle.

Rivkah took a breath, her cell phone in one hand and her spellbook in the other. Malaethanalot. The pronunciation would be rough, especially since she didn't really get much of an opportunity to practice. The true name and the creature were connected to each other, apparently, in a way she didn't quite understand. Saying it too often might cause the demon to cross over on its own and stop the speaker. It's what kids did when they played Bloody Mary - while not a true name, sometimes the creature that went by that name would show its face for shits and giggles.

Rivkah cleared her throat. No going back now. She opened her mouth and began to speak, chanting in an ancient, guttural demonic tongue.

"*Masters of the Void, I call across the Boundary seeking one of your own. With them, I seek an audience, and I will not be denied.*"

Was it just her imagination, or were the shadows growing darker? "*With their name I compel them to cross the Boundary using the bridge I have set. Malaethanalot.*" She stuttered as she saw the candle flame flicker, but kept going. "*Malaethanalot. Malaethanalot.*"

The candle blew out on her last syllable, and she stood there, watching smoke curl off the end of the candle lazily for a few moments. Aw fuck, she thought, as nothing happened, and she took a step back from the inner circle, ready to bolt if the demon appeared outside it...

The wind suddenly picked up, and Rivkah spat hair out of her mouth as he hair flew into her face. The wind, she realized, was coming from the center of the circle - as if someone had just opened a door and let the storm in. She squinted her eyes against the wind, seeing what seemed like a shadow starting to form in the air inside the circle.

The shadow thickened, gaining volume and shape and growing ever darker until she could no longer see through it. It formed a shape like winged humanoid - with a long head, clawed hands and feet, bony wings, and a thin, pointed tail. Suddenly it seemed to gain mass, and the shadow, which had been suspended in the air, hit the ground hard and stumbled, letting out a curse.

The shadows blackness peeled back like tissue paper, and Rivkah took a step back in surprise. This wasn't the demon she encountered last night, convincingly human - this was a milky white monster,, its limbs lanky, its wings translucent, and six eyes lined up on its long, narrow face.

It doubled over as it landed, hunched over on nearly all fours. She was surprised by how small it was - long and lanky as it was, it couldn't be much taller than her, and it was certainly skinnier. Is this really... what I was looking for? This thing was an imp, were imps just not able to blend in?

As Rivkah took a breath to speak, its head turned on a swivel and looked at her with six narrowed eyes. "What are you doing?" it snapped, its words halting and oddly accented. "How did you find my name?!"

Rivkah's face hardened. Don't show hesitation. Don't show weakness. "My methods are not yours to question," she started to say, and the demon darted up to the edge of the circle in an instant. It grazed its face on the circle, and she could see sparks fly off its chin from the impact. At least that works.

"There are millions of my kin," it hissed. "Billions. And of course, I'm the one who's name gets found." It spat on the ground on its feet. "What year is it?"

Rivkah sighed. "2015," she said, "now are you done bitching?"

She nearly twitched as it glared up at her again, and finally it gave a low, growling laugh. "Yes," it said. "Now, what do you want?"

"I have need of your strengths to... deal with, my enemies," she said stiffly.

Malaethanalot grinned slowly, its lips parting to reveal a mouth with too many teeth. "Go on."
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 3rd April 2015, 6:29 pm

Another couple of hours and the brews would be done. In the meantime, he was tucking other weapons away in his suit's many pockets. After his second home visit, he needed to be ready for war.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 14 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top