Gateway to Role-Play
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hide and Seek

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hide and Seek - Page 40 Empty Hide and Seek

Post by Red 30th July 2012, 8:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

She scrabbled up the side of the tree, bare hands scraping against the rough bark as she searched for traction. Her shoes were worn so far through that she could feel the bark against her feet, and she gave a sigh of relief as she finally pulled herself up to a crook in the branches. She breathed softly through her mouth, shifting until she was at least somewhat comfortable.

She braced her feet against the branches and let her arms hang down, her canvas bag hanging from her wrist and blending in with the bark behind it. The first time she’d been out here, in the wilderness like this, she had been terrified of heights, but she’d been more terrified of running into any of the wandering bands of men, the lawless ones who called no city-state their home.

She snorted. Guess I’m one of them, now.

She looked out across the wilderness, a wilderness that seemed even more forlorn peppered as it was by the remnants of civilization. The process was a long one, the reclaiming of the suburbs by the wild. Of course, the plague only affected those living, so for many, many years the buildings had stood simply empty, the lawns growing more and more unkempt, the trees falling down and destroying the buildings they once guarded.

At least, that’s what was said. Papa said his grandmother used to tell stories, passed down throughout the generations, of how before the plague came food was plentiful and water came out of a tube in your house. Then again, the same grandparents told stories of fairies and goblins, so she wasn’t taking such ideas at face value.

She glanced out over at the wilderness around her. She was at the edge of an old suburb – cement could just barely been seen amongst the weeds on the ground, remnants of old roads, and the foundation of a house stood next to her tree, half filled with dirt.

Further, still, through the thin layer of trees, she could see the skyscrapers, or what was left, their top floors fallen down among the streets where people lived.

Utopia, he called it. That was the name Papa O’Leary gave it, at least, and when he ran the place, it certainly was a utopia in comparison to the wilderness. The rationing was strict, the guards even stricter, and all lawbreakers were punished harshly, but it was better than the wilderness. At least, until O’Leary decided to up and die and leave his son Ian in charge.

She suspected the man was paranoid. Maybe just jealous. But the moments he got his hands on Utopia, he decided to turn it to hell for mages like her.

Magic, so she’d heard, was a relatively new thing. With all the old technology gone, people thought to turn back to older arts. And, to their surprise, it worked.

It took a certain talent and a great deal of study to master even one discipline, and the power it afforded one… it was no surprise Ian was paranoid. Mages were called monsters, ill omens, accused of all kinds of filth, and people had no choice but to follow along with it. Ian had the guard in his pocket. Eventually, people started to believe it. And she and Papa slowly fell back to the edge of Utopia, standing on a knife’s edge between the unknown wilderness and the hell of the city.

She knew they couldn’t hide forever. Papa was getting old, too – too old to survive living outside. So she’d left.

She shifted uncomfortably, closing her eyes as she balanced on the branches. She focused, taking a deep breath, letting her thoughts slip away, all her cares fade. She reached for the words, muttering a short incantation under her breath.

To an observer, should they care to look up, she would have appeared to simply… fade. Disappear into the foliage of the tree, blend in with the bark.

She felt the spell take effect and opened her eyes, dragging her canvas bag up to her lap and pulling out what food she had. She ate only a little, careful to store the rest in spite of her hunger.

She was safe here, she was sure. Should anyone so much as approach, not only was she unseen, but they’d likely trip any of the traps she’d set up around the place. She’d used this place as her camp for long enough that she figured she’d invest in some additional defenses.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Hide and Seek - Page 40 Empty Re: Hide and Seek

Post by EphPhoenix 27th August 2012, 5:07 pm

It was midday before he woke up again. He lifted his head up and looked around dreamily--until a slap of cold air hit him in the face. He shivered and shook himself and saw Laura sitting on the opposite side of him.

"Crap," he said. "I fell back asleep? Dammit! How much progress..." he pulled back the hide slightly. "Midday? Are you serious?! There's no point in trying to continue for today..."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 27th August 2012, 5:10 pm

Laura grimaced at his words. One more night in the tiny cage next to Raziel...

"I think someone overestimated how healthy he was," she said, drawing her knees in as her stomach rumbled.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 27th August 2012, 5:15 pm

His face slightly reddened and he folded his arms and looked away. "I'm fine..." he protested. "I just didn't sleep well. You, uh, snore..."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 27th August 2012, 5:17 pm

She smirked. "Oh no I don't," she said. Not to mention she didn't even sleep most of the night. "If I snored in the wilds I'd be long dead."
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 27th August 2012, 5:24 pm

"Yeah, well..." grumbled Raziel, making a pouting face. "I--there--I'm fine! Hale and hearty. I even got us breakfast before I came back and saw you were still passed out..."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 27th August 2012, 5:28 pm

She blinked. As she suspected, but... Damn. It was unnerving, that he got out without her noticing. She was losing her touch.

"And then took a nap after," she said, after a pause. She shrugged. "Whatever. Too late now anyway."
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 27th August 2012, 5:29 pm

He growled slightly in frustration. He got up and grabbed the jerky and herbs and handed her her share.

"Eat up," he said grouchily, as he moved back to his corner and ate in sullen silence.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 27th August 2012, 5:31 pm

She looked at him cautiously and started eating. Silence was good. Silence was something she could deal with. His mood, however, put her on edge. If it weren't for this fucking small space...
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 27th August 2012, 5:37 pm

It didn't take night long to come. They'd spent what little had been left of the day in silence. They had another small meal at dusk and then sat there, waiting for the hours to pass.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 27th August 2012, 5:41 pm

As the sun went down and the intense cold returned, Laura wrapped her cloak tighter about herself, looking over at Raziel with some trepidation. She was not at all looking forward to getting close to him again tonight, pissy as he was...
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 27th August 2012, 5:46 pm

As the night wore on and it once more got obvious that only combined body heat would see them through the night, he sighed. He cleared his throat and looked away awkwardly.

"So...um..." he began, "it, uh...looks like...that time. Again."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 27th August 2012, 5:53 pm

Laura looked over at him and took a breath, shivering hard. "Mmm." She didn't move for a moment, then hesitantly scooted over to him, wrapping her cloak around herself protectively.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 27th August 2012, 5:59 pm

He moved next to her and wrapped his cloak around them. After a little while he chuckled. "Damn shame we don't have two of those hides," he said. "We could probably sleep through this easy with room to spare."

Laura said nothing, just nodded and looked away. Raziel fidgeted as he cast about.

"This your first time in mountains?" he inquired.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 27th August 2012, 6:16 pm

She nodded. No mountains near Utopia, and she'd never really strayed far from the place. For a long time, it was because she never really dared to try and make her way in the wilds in the winter, and forced herself to come back to the city to stay with her father - after that, it was more out of habit. And she always hoped - somehow, impossibly - her father would come out of the city and find her.

But that would never have happened. He was getting old, and while he was a fantastic mage and survivalist, age slowed him down.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 27th August 2012, 6:20 pm

He nodded. "It's not my first time," he said. "Though it is the first time I've come across such belligerent weather...

"I...traveled a lot as a child," he explained. "And one time I landed myself in the hotseat with this...unsavory group. I ran in the mountains. Had to learn to survive the hard way, but...when I wasn't hiding in them, I'd try and climb the highest peaks to see what I could do. Must've almost died over twenty times. Two of those times from altitude sickness..."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 27th August 2012, 6:23 pm

She nodded again, letting him talk. If he expects this to be some cute and cuddly bonding moment then he's gonna be disappointed. Her life was none of his business. If he wanted to babble, he was more than welcome to.

-------

https://gateway-2-rpg.forumotion.com/viewtopic.forum?t=875
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

View previous topic View next topic Back to top