Gateway to Role-Play
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stars Align

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Stars Align - Page 3 Empty Stars Align

Post by Red 9th November 2014, 4:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

"Hey, time to wake up over there."

Rivkah looked up from the hand mirror at the man standing across the room from her at an easel. The man nodded at her, pushing up his glasses with paint-covered hands, leaving a drop of red on the bridge of his glasses. "How you feeling?"

Rivkah dropped the mirror on the bed next to her, leaning forward and resting her elbows on her knees. "...Tired," she said, for lack of a better word. A better word might be... distant? Like the feeling you got after a long time spent daydreaming. "What time is it?"

"Nine," Dylan said, his light brown curls falling down between his glasses and his eyes as he turned back to his painting. He blew up at the hair, trying to get it out without using his hands. "See anything?"

Rivkah shook her head. "Jack shit," she said, blinking hard. "Maybe something, but I don't remember it."

"Don't let it discourage you. Probably we haven't found the right medium for you yet," he said, studying his painting. "It's easy to get lost looking, too."

"I know," she muttered, standing up and stumbling as her legs nearly gave way. She felt way too weak after that.

"I was gonna order pizza soon if you want any," Dylan said, putting down his palette on a table near the easel. "You probably shouldn't go out yet like that,"

"Pizza is awesome," Rivkah said, wandering over towards the window and pulling open the blinds. She stared down from Dylan's window on the fifth floor of his apartment complex to the city below. Clubs were starting to light up already, filling up with college kids drinking and dancing away the weekend. Dylan lived in the heart of the 'college' district of the city, near the university campus - the guys who lived there called it Dinkytown.

She heard the sound of running water as Dylan turned the sink on. "You gonna go out and join them?" he asked.

Rivkah shrugged. "Maybe. Why the hell not."
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Stars Align - Page 3 Empty Re: Stars Align

Post by Red 11th November 2014, 5:05 pm

"Don't start," Rivkah snapped as Dylan gave her a look. "I didn't do shit. It's whatever business that bastard was doing yesterday that started this, I just got dragged into it."

Dylan cleared his throat. "Rivkah, it would be nice if you could elaborate on that?"

Rivkah shot him a glare. He was acting... odd. Rivkah shrugged. "I saw him meet with another man yesterday. Today that man runs into my store to hide from those losers and plants some trace on me to shake his followers."
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 11th November 2014, 7:12 pm

Teuto abruptly turned and the blade at his throat cut into him. Katie gasped, then calmed herself, but the worry on her face as she looked at his neck with blood trickling down was obvious. He seemed to pay it no mind.

"How did see that meeting, anyway?" he inquired, inclining his head with friendly curiosity. "No one tailed me after the club and I'd have noticed a Lydia wannabe standing nearby. Not to mention, seeing as you're a witch and the curse I got hit with was markedly similar to the mojo I worked in your club last night, your doing?"

Katie looked from one to the other confused, with a few glances at his neck.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 11th November 2014, 7:55 pm

Rivkah grinned. "If you shaved your head, you'd shed less." Dylan let out a heavy sigh behind her as Rivkah walked about in front of him. "Really, you're pretty damn careless."

"Rivkah, what did I say about cursing strangers," Dylan said flatly.

"Probably something stupid," she said, waving a hand.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 11th November 2014, 8:42 pm

Teuto laughed. "Well!" he said. "Ya got me there, Lydia!"

"Okay! Enough! Can you just give a straight answer for once, M--"

"No, I will not marry you," Teuto chimed in and she gave a frustrated sigh. She pulled out a tin and walked over to him, opening it.

"Meh! Hey! Cut that out!" he protested as she opened the tin and rubbed some of the salve on his bleeding neck, then muttered a few words and the wound healed. Her tough act never lasted on him. He sighed and gave her a grin.

"Fine," he said, "never let it be said Teutorigos Caomh doesn't help every now and again. But she owes me a cheeseburger bringing her bullshit my way." He gave the girl another wink. He pointed and said a few words and the bauble flew up and over to him. He placed it in her palm. "Got a job the other day for a locate and retrieve. It was this bauble, but the mob had it. Surprising, really, as, for all intents and purposes, it's just a worthless crystal. At any rate, got it, gave it to the guy, but he was kind of a dick, so it slipped my mind to warn him about the charm on it. Guess they found him. And what's with that look."

Katie was pale as a sheet as she looked down at the bauble. "Do you have any idea what this is...Teutorigos?" She wrapped her tongue around the name with distaste which made him smile.

"A Macguffin," he said wryly. "Don't know, don't care. Got better things to worry about than your expensive jewelry tastes." He turned and walked away. "Ciao."

"M...Teutorigos! Get back here! Teu...fine...!" she massaged her temples then put an angry scowl on the guy. "Okay, Dylan, let's get this cleaned up and a report filed. The Coven is going to want to hear about this stat."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 11th November 2014, 9:17 pm

Dylan sighed. "Aye," he said, giving Rivkah a puppy-eyed look over his shoulder. Rivkah shook her head with a smirk. She wasn't saving him this time.

The Coven had a bit of a bizarre structure. Coven liked to have their hands in every witch's business, so most witches were registered, and guaranteed all the protections the Coven provided they followed its rules. They also were supposed to be available if ever called on for assistance by those in the actual coven hierarchy - people like this bitch.

Least now she had a name for the silver surfer, if she could bloody well remember it. "I can take the bus back," Rivkah said to Dylan. She needed to get shoes.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 11th November 2014, 10:38 pm

"Home sweet home."

He walked into his shop and up the stairs to the apartment above it. He needed a good long soaking and...probably to groom. The girl was right. If an amameur like her could get his hair that damn easily, it would ill behoove him to be walking around like that. He'd made sure to use an incinerate curse on the area before he left--lest she get the same idea twice.

Katie was always the serious sort, but her pale like that meant that bauble was some serious mojo. All the more reason to stay the hell away from it. The last time he'd dealt with heavy shit it hadn't turned out well for anyone.

He got in the tub and let the hot water ease his aches, his eyes slowly shut and he let out a sigh of relief. Images flashed in his mind's eye, visions of corpses, fire, and glowing yellow eyes. He snapped his eyes open and sat up. Yeah...no heavy shit for him.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 11th November 2014, 11:26 pm

Rivkah unlocked the door to the apartment and opened it, closing it and making sure to lock it behind her. She checked all the windows to see if they were locked too, before she finally laid down on the couch.

She pulled out her phone to text Dylan. How's Coven business?

Dylan: I'll be late.

Rivkah: What was that thing anyway?

Dylan: Tell you when I get back. Rather not text about it.

Rivkah put her phone down on her chest and put her arms behind her head. She needed a bloody nap.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 12th November 2014, 1:14 pm

"Okay, Dylan," Katie said. "We have our orders. The Coven wants us to put this in our maximum security lockup until their agents can get here to analyze it." Sparks lit up in her eyes. "I want to analyze it myself, but they want backup before I do," she added ruefully.

"Assign a team to investigate the local Italian mob," she told him. "We need to find out how they got a hold of something like this. Discretion is advised."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 12th November 2014, 4:02 pm

Dylan grumbled under his breath as he pulled out his cell phone. "You could do it yourself," he muttered, going through his contacts. Who was he even supposed to call to get in contact with the enforcement division? Hell, what was he even doing here?

He didn't want to be involved in Coven business. He registered to get all the rights that came with, he could follow their rules, but one thing after another... Hey Dylan, can you keep an eye on this black witch at your school? Hell, can you teach that black witch? Hey Dylan, you should help us deal with top secret Coven business while you're at it!

Dylan fiddled with his phone as long as he could before giving up. "Ms. Sanna, I don't know the first thing about Enforcement procedures so I'll be happy to relay your order once I know how to do so." He couldn't keep the bitter edge out of his voice. He wanted to be home so he could make sure Rivkah was okay. She'd stopped texting him back a while ago. Probably just went to sleep, but he was nervous - he still wasn't convinced the prophecy of his painting - whatever it was - had been completed.

She'd grown on him a great deal - he hadn't expected that - and this whole business made him anxious.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 12th November 2014, 4:24 pm

Katie sighed and rubbed her temples. "Sorry, Dylan," she said, "I forget. You're a big help and I thank you for what you do. I got this." She pulled out her phone and began making the necessary calls. "Though you'd make an excellent field officer if you're ever interested," she said as an aside.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 12th November 2014, 4:31 pm

Dylan relaxed, quickly regretting his sharp words. "You're fine," he said. "I'm busy enough making sure Riv doesn't summon all the powers of hell," he said. "But thanks."

He sent Rivkah a quick text telling her he was headed back and nodded to Katie, stepping out and immediately picking up his pace as soon as he was out of sight.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 12th November 2014, 5:16 pm

The days passed uneventfully, much to Teuto's dismay. He kept himself busy, all the same, going out and picking ingredients for spells and counter-curses--he didn't have the funds to purchase it on his own. He kept a private greenhouse on the roof, but he could only do so much up there. Well, in truth, he'd inherited it and most magical ingredients to a degree were self-maintaining, except the occasional need for pruning lest some plant get a little too big for its breeches.

It had been one of those days that the alarm tripped. Something magical was in his shop. He was decked out in suit pants, a dress shirt, and tie covered by a leather apron and a bandanna over his hair. The Venus had been a little unruly, so he was dust-covered and bearing a few scrapes. "Feed me, Seymour, my ass," he'd said with a laugh as he exited downstairs.

"Wand, get your sorry ass over here!" he decried in Sumerian, causing the thing to come zooming down.

He stepped downstairs into the main area, looking around cautiously--for Katie standing in front of his desk, looking at a picture on it. He rolled his eyes and put on his best shit-eating grin--the one she hated the most. "Shouldn't your type announce themselves before paying humble wizards a visit?" he said in friendly voice.

She jumped and pointed her rod at him. Then relaxed when she saw it was him. "God, how do you move so damn quietly. I hate when you do that." She gave him her usual disapproving frown. "And you're many things, humble's not one of them, ass."

"So true!" he cackled. "So what can I do ya for? And you can put that picture down anytime, now."

"I'm here to hire your services," she said simply, still holding onto the picture.

His eyebrows shot up in surprise. He was used to the Coven bitching and moaning, not trying to hire him. "What does the Coven want with an out-of-control witch like me?"

"I need you to locate something," she said.

He studied her for a moment. "The Coven doesn't know," he said finally.

Her mouth took on that slight grimace when someone figured things out that she didn't want them to. "No. They don't," she agreed, "and provided you can be discreet, they need never learn. You can be discreet, can't you?"

"I charge 30 dollars an hour," he told her, sitting down. "Discreet costs double."

She sighed. "I'm willing to pay your triple that for your highest quality work, discretion at. the. top." She slammed a fat envelope down. "This is an advance. I need you on it, stat." She sighed. "Are you gonna take it or not?"

"You haven't told me what I'd be finding," he said, plopping himself down on his chair and resting his feet on the desk.

"Information."

"Oh? An information gig. On...?"

She hesitated. "That bauble from last week."

"Oh? Is that all?" he said jovially. "I assume you want me to find out how the grubby WOPs got a hold of it."

She shot him a look to which he gave her an angelic expression. She was part Italian--the other half was greek. And damn was she a paragon for the gene pool. She smiled sweetly--which was scary in itself. Bad shit usually followed that smile.

"Why?" was his next question. "Don't you have an Investigative Branch for that?"

Her sweet smile turned sour. She looked to the ground. He studied her for a moment. So that's how it was.

"Not checking in, are they?" he inquired. She shook her head. That was sobering. "You're trying to keep the highers out of this?" She nodded. Couldn't blame her. The party they'd send in would be all fire and brimstone. Especially where "filthy mortals" were involved dabbling into what the Coven considered its business. "How long do I have until you have to report it?"

"A week, at most. I want information on the Hexen stone, of course, but--"

That made him sit up and whistle through his teeth. "Hexen stone? As in the Lost Dynasty Hexen stone?"

"--if you can find out what happened to the others--yes, one and the same--I'd be...grateful." She looked at him, then, fire in her eyes. She hated having to do this. That was the whip cream and the cherry.

"I'll have it done in three," he told her, leaning back.

"So you'll do it?"

"That's what I said."

"It...I--"

"You can go, now."

She sighed and looked at the picture one more time before setting it down. "As you wish." She turned to leave, then stopped. "I loved her, too, y'know. We...it didn't..."

"You chose your side," he told her sweetly. She looked like he'd struck her.

"I--I suppose I did," she said after a moment, her words clipped. "Well, good luck Caomh, or whatever you're calling yourself."

"Last word, freak."

She sighed and strode to the exit. She opened the door, then stopped again. "Trahe!" she snapped. Teuto's chair flew out from under him and he wound up on the floor. She smirked with vindication and left.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 12th November 2014, 6:24 pm

The next few days were boring as hell. Rivkah was back and out of classes and work, and Dylan was busy working on paintings for his art show later in the month. That last prophetic painting he kept in his room, she saw once looking through the door - he claimed he was planning on adding it to his gallery, but she got the sense it made him nervous. Like maybe the events of the painting hadn't unfolded yet.

It was pretty damn specific, though. For one, she was clearly holding a revolver where she appeared in the painting, and that already occurred. For another, she wasn't planning on ever seeing the silver surfer again. He was nothing but trouble.

She spent her free time doing research. Demonology had always interested her, and she'd picked up yet another text of that variety and was working her way through it. And it wasn't like there was anything else to do - she'd tried going out earlier in the week, but every time she did Dylan pulled out puppy eyes and one of her favorite movies and she stayed inside. He wasn't leaving the apartment much either, save for classes. A couple weeks and he'll stop being such a pain, soon as he see the painting isn't relevant anymore.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 12th November 2014, 8:46 pm

There was a knock on her apartment door. When she arrived at the door, a young delivery boy was standing there with a package.

"I got a delivery for Rivkah Dalgaard," he said brightly. "Sign here, please."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 12th November 2014, 9:08 pm

Rivkah blinked at the kid, answering the door in her pajamas. It was one of those kinds of days. "Yeah, sure," she said, taking the pen and signing the paper. As she took the package, the kid gave her a bright smile and left.

Rivkah closed the door with her foot, walking back inside. "Dylan?" she said, tearing open the neatly wrapped package. "I guess the new address stuck?" she muttered. Last she knew her mom was still getting packages addressed to her from old high school friends.

She opened the package to see a single white rose inside. She frowned at it. "Not my style," she said, reaching down to pull it out so she could throw it in the garbage.

The rose turned black in an instant, and Rivkah was thrown across the room, falling back hard on top of the table and rolling backwards off of it. "Riv?!" she heard Dylan yell, and he threw open the door to his room, music drifting out after him.

"Bloody fuck," Rivkah groaned, feeling at her chest. She felt like she'd just been shot - a lot - but without any of the blood and just the force. "Christ," she said, grimacing as she pushed off the ground with both her arms and felt a sharp pain in her chest.

Dylan was at her side immediately, his Torah in his hand. "Are you alright? What happened?"

"The hell does it look like?" she snapped. Dylan fumbled for his phone, pulling it out and pacing out into the center of the room. "It was that damned package thing," she said. "Someone sent me a curse in the mail."

Dylan stopped over the fallen box. The rose had tumbled out of the box and lay delicately on the floor. He skirted around it and checked to make sure the door was locked. "Just - just stay there," he said. Couldn't call a normal ambulance, too many questions about what happened, it'd have to be the Coven.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 12th November 2014, 9:16 pm

The black rose crumbled into ashes, and the ashes took on the form of the man she'd shot last week. He smirked at her. "Thought you should know what it feels like," he said. "This was but a greeting. I'll be coming to silence you really soon, child. Be ready..." The ashes then lost their form and fell into a small pile on the ground.

Last edited by Venom on 12th November 2014, 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 12th November 2014, 9:21 pm

Dylan stepped back, between Rivkah and the shade that appeared, and muttered a curse under his breath as he hung up and immediately dialed another number.

Rivkah grimaced and laid her head back, banging it softly against the floor. "Fucking kidding me," she muttered. "Stupidest shit..."
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 12th November 2014, 11:04 pm

Katie's voice came on the line. There was strain in it, and she sounded tired, but her professionalism still shone through. "Dylan," she said briskly, "I hope you have a good reason. I'm very busy at the moment."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 12th November 2014, 11:21 pm

"My student," he said, "got a curse sent in a mail by the mob boy who got away last week. She needs medical treatment and protection." He spoke with a voice that demanded attention - it wasn't something Rivkah heard often.

"I'm fine, Dylan," Rivkah said, trying to sit up only to flop back down at the pain in her chest. "Fine..."
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 13th November 2014, 11:41 am

"What?!" Katie said. "Yes, alright, I'll have a team sent your way for cleanup and protection--and a healer, of course. Is the girl alright?" She was already passing orders as she listened.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 13th November 2014, 3:39 pm

"She's not dead," he said. "Or liquified, or anything like that. All things considered it could have been much worse."

He looked at Rivkah starting to try and stand. "What'd he hit you with?"

She grimaced. "Just force. To the chest. Like bullets." She breathed in slowly, feeling the pain from that motion. "I'll be fine."

"Might have a few fractures." Dylan said, turning away. "She's bruised and battered but alive. I'm more concerned by his threat that came with it."
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 13th November 2014, 10:20 pm

"Give me the full Monty when I get there," she said. "Just keep your guard up till help arrives just in case. It doesn't bode well that witches getting so bold. See you soon." The cell phone clicked off.

Teuto's lab was alive with bubbling and sizzling as he cooked up potions and prepared spells and countercurses. A witch's best friend was preparation and he needed to be ready just in case. He had a nasty feeling, and if it wasn't for damned ramen motivating him, he might've turned it down. Is that the only reason?

"Shut up, self," he growled.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 13th November 2014, 10:32 pm

"Got it," Dylan said, as she hung up. He shoved his phone in his pocket and was back over by Rivkah in an instant as she started to walk towards his room. "Whoa, hold up, where you going?"

"I'm putting pants on," she said, waving one hand to push his aside as she made for the door. "I'm not doing this in pajamas."
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 14th November 2014, 9:14 pm

Two men and a woman worked to establish a perimeter of protection around the apartment while Katie worked a healing staff on Rivkah while Dylan filled her in. Her face remained placid as she focused on her work.

"Payback, huh?" she said, musing. "According to the report, you plugged the guy with Colt Single Action." She made a disapproving expression. "Apparently, he had a counter field up to protect him from lethality. M--Mr. Caomh said you were aware of the field when he asked you do shoot, so you don't have to worry about a murder charge." The Coven would've had to deal with it despite it being a mundane weapon. Self defense would likely have kept her from being punished, though put her on their radar for a while. An eagerness to kill was not something they smiled upon.

Katie moved back and stood. "That should do it," she said. "There'll be some light bruising, but you should be fine in a few days." She turned away. "I should make sure that idiot is safe," she added under her breath. "Likely if she was attacked, he'd be next..."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 14th November 2014, 9:32 pm

Rivkah stood up as she finished. "Yeah, thanks," she said, stretching. Her chest still hurt, but she could breathe. As Katie mentioned Caomh she muttered what sounded like a string of swears under her breath as she turned to her books.

"You do what you gotta," Dylan said. "I got this place covered for now."
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top