Gateway to Role-Play
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hide and Seek

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hide and Seek - Page 20 Empty Hide and Seek

Post by Red 30th July 2012, 8:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

She scrabbled up the side of the tree, bare hands scraping against the rough bark as she searched for traction. Her shoes were worn so far through that she could feel the bark against her feet, and she gave a sigh of relief as she finally pulled herself up to a crook in the branches. She breathed softly through her mouth, shifting until she was at least somewhat comfortable.

She braced her feet against the branches and let her arms hang down, her canvas bag hanging from her wrist and blending in with the bark behind it. The first time she’d been out here, in the wilderness like this, she had been terrified of heights, but she’d been more terrified of running into any of the wandering bands of men, the lawless ones who called no city-state their home.

She snorted. Guess I’m one of them, now.

She looked out across the wilderness, a wilderness that seemed even more forlorn peppered as it was by the remnants of civilization. The process was a long one, the reclaiming of the suburbs by the wild. Of course, the plague only affected those living, so for many, many years the buildings had stood simply empty, the lawns growing more and more unkempt, the trees falling down and destroying the buildings they once guarded.

At least, that’s what was said. Papa said his grandmother used to tell stories, passed down throughout the generations, of how before the plague came food was plentiful and water came out of a tube in your house. Then again, the same grandparents told stories of fairies and goblins, so she wasn’t taking such ideas at face value.

She glanced out over at the wilderness around her. She was at the edge of an old suburb – cement could just barely been seen amongst the weeds on the ground, remnants of old roads, and the foundation of a house stood next to her tree, half filled with dirt.

Further, still, through the thin layer of trees, she could see the skyscrapers, or what was left, their top floors fallen down among the streets where people lived.

Utopia, he called it. That was the name Papa O’Leary gave it, at least, and when he ran the place, it certainly was a utopia in comparison to the wilderness. The rationing was strict, the guards even stricter, and all lawbreakers were punished harshly, but it was better than the wilderness. At least, until O’Leary decided to up and die and leave his son Ian in charge.

She suspected the man was paranoid. Maybe just jealous. But the moments he got his hands on Utopia, he decided to turn it to hell for mages like her.

Magic, so she’d heard, was a relatively new thing. With all the old technology gone, people thought to turn back to older arts. And, to their surprise, it worked.

It took a certain talent and a great deal of study to master even one discipline, and the power it afforded one… it was no surprise Ian was paranoid. Mages were called monsters, ill omens, accused of all kinds of filth, and people had no choice but to follow along with it. Ian had the guard in his pocket. Eventually, people started to believe it. And she and Papa slowly fell back to the edge of Utopia, standing on a knife’s edge between the unknown wilderness and the hell of the city.

She knew they couldn’t hide forever. Papa was getting old, too – too old to survive living outside. So she’d left.

She shifted uncomfortably, closing her eyes as she balanced on the branches. She focused, taking a deep breath, letting her thoughts slip away, all her cares fade. She reached for the words, muttering a short incantation under her breath.

To an observer, should they care to look up, she would have appeared to simply… fade. Disappear into the foliage of the tree, blend in with the bark.

She felt the spell take effect and opened her eyes, dragging her canvas bag up to her lap and pulling out what food she had. She ate only a little, careful to store the rest in spite of her hunger.

She was safe here, she was sure. Should anyone so much as approach, not only was she unseen, but they’d likely trip any of the traps she’d set up around the place. She’d used this place as her camp for long enough that she figured she’d invest in some additional defenses.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Hide and Seek - Page 20 Empty Re: Hide and Seek

Post by EphPhoenix 17th August 2012, 10:54 am

"Besides the obvious of being underground, old, and littered with Ancient technology?" he said. "Not much. They use mages to power the machines in the town. I was wondering where there power source was..." he grumbled. "The machines won't even respond unless someone with magic touches them. But it's draining on those who make it work."

He shook his head. "I'm pretty sure that it's a safeguard of some sort," he said, suddenly going into researcher mode. "I've been able to see some of the runes--when I wasn't getting stomped on--and I'm pretty sure I could probably find the source for it if I had the freedom and it would stop killing mages."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th August 2012, 10:57 am

She rolled her eyes as he went into one of his historical researcher rants again. "That's not what I mean," she said, though it was nice to know the why of it. "Numbers. How many guards, how many mages here, where they keep the other mages, important stuff."
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th August 2012, 11:11 am

He glared at her, then shook his head disappointedly. "That is important..." he grumbled. "I swear, I'm surrounded by heathens..."

He shrugged. "Near as I can tell," he began, "the whole town is in on it and everyone is required to participate--easier to keep dissension from happening, I'd imagine. There's a complement of about 25-30 guards at any given time, though it's been 20 lately, what with me having broken a few of the guards arms, legs...necks..." There was satisfaction in his voice. "And they're starting to show signs of fatigue and sleepiness with so many of their number out of commission, as the healthy guards are having to do double shifts.

"Natalie--the healer woman--can only do so much. Plus, a lot of the townsfolk look down on magic and refuse to let it touch them." He grinned. "Enjoy those injuries, folks..."

He cleared his throat. "Anyway," he continued, "near as I can tell, they keep all mages in myriad of cells you saw on your way to the back, here. Those two branching corridors there," he added pointing, "go into more rooms. Calculating from the decibel level and from what I've seen out here, I'd say they have close to one hundred and twenty mages, maybe more.

"Only a handful of cages are as big as the two we're in," he went on. "The rest around eight by eight." His smile turned wicked. "They tried keeping me in the smaller ones, at first, but found it was harder to gang up on me that way. So many broken limbs..."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th August 2012, 2:40 pm

She smirked. She came in at just the right time, it seemed, then. "Alright," she said, thinking, drawing her knees up to her chest. His attacks on the guards should make this much easier. "These cages are old and poorly maintained. Rust on the bottom of the bars, at least on mine. That's how we'll get out. After your injuries heal," she said, cutting a glance at him. "Pretend like they've won for maybe a week or so. Can your pride handle that?"
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th August 2012, 2:50 pm

He growled, then sighed, walking over to the back wall and slumping. "It was never pride," he said. "I used to live out in the Wilds, remember? Rape gangs, murderers, I've seen it all. I was caught once. They used to make us fight each other to "earn" our right to live. Keep in mind, I was eight. Didn't matter."

His eyes teared up slightly as his unseeing eyes looked into the past. He shook his head.

"Never again..." he whispered, looking away while he wiped his eyes.

He looked over at her with unfulfilled wrath in his eyes. "You can have your week," he said gruffly. "After that...I make no promises..."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th August 2012, 3:01 pm

She nodded, silent. She took a deep breath before speaking again.

"I... imagine they will expect me to resist, at least once," she said. "I'm afraid if I don't try to fight them at least once it'll look... suspicious." She glanced over at him again. "...What should I expect?"
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th August 2012, 3:06 pm

"Well," he said, thinking on it, "they're pretty short-tempered right now and have been stamping the slightest rebellion viciously, so I'd expect lots of pain. I don't think they'd beat you to the extent they did me unless you resisted, but expect the lightning rod at least once and a couple of punches and kicks."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th August 2012, 3:12 pm

She nodded, and said nothing more, scooting to the back of her cell. Now it was only to wait for them to show up and try to take her... wherever. She breathed in slowly, crossed her legs, and started to meditate.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th August 2012, 3:16 pm

"Focus on a flame," he suggested, "and focus on feeding everything into that flame. So when they start hitting you, you feed that into the flame, and you don't feel it as much."

After that, he sat quietly until finally, they came. The guards cautiously approached his cell. He growled and prepared to unleash hell until he caught a slight glare from Laura, then relented. Seemingly broken, they issued him to come out, then came for her.

"Alright, wench," one of them said as they unlocked her cell. "Out. Time for you to do an honest day's work."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th August 2012, 3:19 pm

She opened her eyes as the man spoke, giving him a scathing look before she closed them again and returned to her meditation. She reached slowly for a spell, waiting for them to come inside and try to drag her out.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th August 2012, 3:20 pm

"Bitch!" called the guard, stepping into her cell. "I said to get the fuck out!"
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th August 2012, 3:35 pm

She kept her eyes shut, starting to mumble half to herself as she heard the guard and a few others - three pairs of footsteps, walk into her cell.

"Get the hell up, bitch, before I - "

The man had started to reach down to yank her up, and, her spell finished, Laura's eyes shot open. The man recoiled, and she reached out one hand to grab his wrist before he could pull back. Her eyes seemed to glow black, if that was even possible, her shadow lengthening on the wall, her smile positively demonic.

Just a simple fear spell. But those were always rather fun.

"Make me," she said, and before he could react she jammed the heel of her hand up, slamming into his fingers and bending them back until several snapped.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th August 2012, 3:43 pm

The man cried out in pain, but before Laura could think to do anymore she felt electricity surging in through her body from her side. Her body went limp and immediately received several blows to the gut.

The man whose fingers she broke walked all over the cell trying to walk off the pain. He looked ridiculous in Raziel's estimation. Finally, he grabbed his lightning rod and repeatedly jolted her until they stopped him finally.

"You'll kill her!" one of them growled.

"The bitch broke my g*ddamn hand!" he cried.

"Then take it out on her thighs, later..." said another one evilly.

The others chuckled. "In fact, we all can..."

"Not right now, though," added another. "They wanted us to have them at the crank lickity split!"

The others glared at the last one, but sighed. "Dammit. Grab her up and let's go."

It had taken everything within Raziel not to go snarling off at the lot of them. He only hoped Laura knew what she was doing. All his previous encounters left him with much doubt...
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th August 2012, 3:57 pm

She closed her eyes, trying to breathe through the pain. Focus. Just focus. God, she'd almost blacked out there for a moment when that bastard was having his temper tantrum. Her back felt wet - had she torn her wounds back open, while he was shocking her?

She took another breath, clearing her mind and focusing on feeding that flame, willing the pain to go away. As they dragged her upright, she tried to support herself, but her limbs twitched, not wanting to obey her orders. She drew in a ragged breath as they dragged her out, closing her eyes. It's over now. The pain will pass.

She tried to catch Raziel's eye, and gave him just the barest hint of a smile. I'm fine.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th August 2012, 4:06 pm

Raziel blinked when he caught her smile. Maybe there's more to her, after all... he thought.

They were led out of the prisons and down another corridor. As they continued, they could see several men and women moving crankshafts, an ethereal glow surrounding them. They looked horrible.

Finally, they stopped at a device that looked like a seat with handles. "This is where you go, bitch," said one of them. "McFly said this one is perfect for you."

Laura was pushed toward it. When she got in it, she'd suddenly feel something sapping her magic strength. It'd be uncomfortable and scary, feeling like a part of her was being taken.

Raziel was pushed along. He grimaced as he saw the overlarge crankshaft that was his to pull and his alone. There was nothing for it but to do as he had agreed.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th August 2012, 4:13 pm

Laura collapsed down in the machine, and jolted up as she felt something pulling at her. Not physically, but worse - like something was pulling at the very core of her being.

She fought the urge to throw herself out of the damned thing, but right now that might just be suicidal. She cringed, trying to hold back her panic. Damn it. A week. Just a week and you can bust out. She had to cling to that thought.

She felt sick from the pain, and she cautiously reached back to check the wound on her back. Her fingers came back wet. She'd be fine - probably. Nothing to do but take it.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th August 2012, 4:18 pm

Toward the end of the day--they could only assume--they were finally released from their "labors." However, instead of being herded back to the cells, they were instead led to a room where the smell of food was coming from.

There was a long line and everyone was given a large bowl of some kind of indeterminate slop in a bowl. They then found a place to sit amongst the tables in the room. Everyone looked worn out.

When Laura looked around, she saw Raziel sitting with the woman healer.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th August 2012, 4:22 pm

Laura grabbed her food and limped in the direction of Raziel. The bleeding had stopped fairly quickly, painting a faint red stain on her back that blended into her shirt and caused her shirt to cling to her back like a needy boyfriend. She grimaced, sitting down near Raziel, but not right next to him, on the opposite side of the healer. She didn't want to look like she was associating too much with the guy who was a known problem.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th August 2012, 4:32 pm

Natalie grimaced as she looked at Laura. Without warning, she grabbed Laura's wrist and a small silver light grew from around her hand. After a moment, Natalie released her wrist and nearly collapsed. Laura would find her wounds almost completely healed.

Raziel immediately slid his food over to her and she shook her head and slid it back--there wasn't that much left in there, anyway.

"I'm fine," she said.

"You're fucking emaciated is what you are," Raziel said back bluntly. "You should stop being so stubborn and just let this McFly bastard feed you."

She shook her head firmly. "No," she snapped. "I will not stuff myself while the rest of you starve..."

"Instead, you'll make your suffering two-fold," he snapped back. "She can feel the pain of anyone within thirty feet of her," he explained to Laura. "So, this place is like super hell for her..."
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th August 2012, 4:42 pm

Laura jumped as the woman reached out to grab her, nearly pulling away as a spark of silver light grew from her hand. She felt the ache from her wounds subside, and she raised her eyebrows, amazed as the wound in her leg seemed to finally heal itself.

She allowed herself to barely smile. Better than I ever hoped. Now she had her mobility back.

She looked over at the two of them as they spoke and nodded, thinking, glancing around at the mages around them. She shrugged. "If you can get extra food, take it," she said simply, pretending to focus on her bowl of shit as she scanned the room. She would guess about a hundred and twenty, as Raziel said. Most of them looked exhausted, weak, beaten, and she scowled.

Fuck this town. She was starting to get really pissed off. Maybe it won't just be me and Raziel busting out...

She glanced over at Natalie - she guessed she wouldn't rat. She wasn't so sure about the other mages. "Hopefully you'll only have to deal with it for a week," she said, keeping her head down.
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th August 2012, 4:43 pm

Natalie looked at her wide-eyed, the controlled her features. "What do you mean?" she inquired quietly.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th August 2012, 4:49 pm

She sighed. "I'm not saying it aloud," Laura said, looking over at Raziel quickly, trying to confirm that she could trust this woman. She seemed too weak and earnest to be a rat. Most of the time, the rats were well fed until they were no longer needed. Like Julian - treacherous bastard thought he was clever, turning in nearly everyone in his family to O'Leary and living like a king until it became clear he wasn't useful anymore...

Either that, or they were the people scared enough to do anything to make the pain stop. She glanced around the room. That could be anybody here. "Natalie, you've been here for a while, right? Can you tell me who the rats are?"
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th August 2012, 4:56 pm

He shrugged. "She's helped me, unbidden, several times," he said to her glance.

Natalie looked from one to the other. At Laura's question, she shook her head.

"Very few here wouldn't turn their own mother in if it thought it could earn them their freedom," she said sadly. "But that look in your eye...you shouldn't think it, let alone act on it. It's been tried. My James...thought he could free us. That was over a year ago. Led a revolt...they were all massacred...'

Her face went neutral as she kept from letting the emotion show on her face, but her eyes shown with unshed tears. Raziel squeezed her hand.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Red 17th August 2012, 7:43 pm

“Of course they were,” she muttered, half to herself. A revolt of weak, sickly mages against healthy armed guards? It would have been a slaughter.

She looked around her again. Damn, she felt crowded. Too many people in too small a space. She shook her head finally. “Anyway, I ain’t planning something like that.” She wasn’t entirely sure what she was planning yet, but the way that thing had sucked on her magic… “If I didn’t have that damn thing sucking on my magic all day, we’d have more options,” she said bitterly. “But for now…”

She sighed. “I can’t say I’ll be able to free this whole place, but I can at least get you two out,” she said. “But I need to come up with a plan, first.”
Red
Red
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by EphPhoenix 17th August 2012, 7:47 pm

Raziel's face hardened. "If you get me out, you needn't worry about getting the others out..." he said darkly. "I'll bring this entire place down and kill every last one of them..."

Natalie gasped and looked at Raziel in shock. He met her eyes levelly. "They all deserve to die," he said coldly.
EphPhoenix
EphPhoenix
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top